Salem Scores Five Unanswered to Sink Frederick
SALEM, VA - The Frederick Keys (18-32, 47-72) squandered a three-run lead over the Salem Red Sox (30-21, 55-63) who scored five unanswered runs to earn a 7-5 victory on Wednesday evening at Haley Toyota Field. The Keys offense produced throughout the night, as five players sported multi-hit games, including J.C. Escarra's four-hit night. Escarra and Patrick Dorrian both knocked in a pair of runs as well.
Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the fifth, Salem started to chip away against Blaine Knight. With a man on and one-out, Pedro Castellanos hit a triple down the right-field line that brought home a run, and Castellanos later scored on an RBI double from Keith Curcio. Knight was able to escape the inning with the lead still in tack 5-4.
Knight dealt with traffic all evening. He allowed four runs on seven hits but walked just one batter while striking out five.
In the sixth, Kieran Lovegrove came in relief and look good to start. He retired the first two he faced, but Grant Williams kept the inning alive with a punch single to right. He advanced to second on a wild pitch and then scored on Garrett Benge's game-tying single.
Lovegrove (0-2) had similar fortunes in the seventh. After recording two outs, Lovegrove walked the next two which warranted a pitch change.
Tim Naughton entered the game for the Keys but could not secure the third out without trouble. Jagger Rusconi grounded a single against to shift to score the go-ahead run and Elih Marrero then brought home an insurance run to put Salem ahead 7-5.
The Keys had a chance in the top of the seventh as they loaded the bases with one-out but were unable to score a run.
The big inning for Frederick came in the fifth. Tied 2-2 entering the inning, the Keys loaded the bases for Dorrian, who laced a single to right that scored a run.
Andrew Politi then came in relief of Dylan Thompson, but the pitching change did not faze Escarra, who punched a two-run single up the middle that gave the Keys a 5-2 lead.
Politi (5-2) was solid after that. He earned the win after allowing just four hits and two walks in 3.2 shutout innings. Dominic LoBrutto (S, 3) got the save in a shutdown ninth inning.
The Keys play their final game against Salem on Thursday, August 15 before heading back to Nymeo Field for a weekend series. RHP Ofelky Peralta (1-2, 6.59) takes the mound for Frederick against LHP Jhonathan Diaz (7-6, 4.10) for Salem. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm with pregame coverage starting at 6:50pm on the Tune In app and frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Wood Ducks Wallop Fayetteville To Salvage Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Swept After 6-4 Series Finale Loss to Dash - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Score Eight in Seventh, Blast Potomac to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Trounce Woodpeckers in Series Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Pelicans Power Past P-Nats 11-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Peralta and Burke Pitch Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Four-Run Sixth Carries Dash to Sweep at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Get Swept by Blue Rocks on Thursday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Zach Clark Placed on IL; Wuilder Rodriguez Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Noah Zavolas Placed on IL; Scotty Sunitsch Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 15 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Rout Wood Ducks, Win Fifth Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Salem Scores Five Unanswered to Sink Frederick - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Take Seesaw Affair from Keys 7-5 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.