Peralta and Burke Pitch Keys to Shutout Win
SALEM, VA - Ofelky Peralta and Scott Burke collaborated on a two-hit shutout of the Salem Red Sox (55-64/30-22) as the Frederick Keys (48-72/19-32) collected a 1-0 win on Thursday night at Haley Toyota Field. It was the Keys eighth shutout win of the season and ended an eight-game slide in Salem.
For the second straight start, Peralta (2-2) was lights out. Picking up the win, the right-hander allowed only two hits over six innings. He walked three and struck out three while throwing 92 pitches (55 strikes). It was Peralta's second straight quality start. After allowing seven runs on August 2 in Down East, the 21-year-old has tossed 12 straight scoreless innings.
Frederick claimed its lone run against Jhonathan Diaz in the third inning. Daniel Fajardo walked to leadoff the inning and got to second on a fielder's choice and an error by Jagger Rusconi. Two batters later, Robert Neustrom hit an RBI single to center.
Burke took the reins from Peralta and did not allow over three innings. He walked two and struck out three. It was Burke's second save of the year and first since June 26.
Salem finished the game with eight left on base and 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position. Diaz (7-7) was tagged with loss on the mound allowing one unearned run on three hits in five innings. He walked four and struck out five.
The Keys return to Nymeo Field to begin a six-game homestand on Friday night when the Fayetteville Woodpeckers come to town. Right-hander Brenan Hanifee (8-9, 4.50) starts for Frederick and will be opposed by Woodpeckers right-hander Cody Deason (2-2, 3.51). First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. and the broadcast can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn app.
Homestand highlights include two fireworks shows, Faith Night with a pregame concert with Waterboyz for Jesus to go with Meet the Team and a Summer Reading Day. For tickets fans can visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Wood Ducks Wallop Fayetteville To Salvage Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Swept After 6-4 Series Finale Loss to Dash - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Score Eight in Seventh, Blast Potomac to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Trounce Woodpeckers in Series Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Pelicans Power Past P-Nats 11-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Peralta and Burke Pitch Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Four-Run Sixth Carries Dash to Sweep at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Get Swept by Blue Rocks on Thursday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Zach Clark Placed on IL; Wuilder Rodriguez Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Noah Zavolas Placed on IL; Scotty Sunitsch Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 15 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Rout Wood Ducks, Win Fifth Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Salem Scores Five Unanswered to Sink Frederick - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Take Seesaw Affair from Keys 7-5 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.