Four-Run Sixth Carries Dash to Sweep at Carolina
ZEBULON, N.C. - Thanks in large part to a four-run sixth inning, the Dash earned a 6-4 victory and a series sweep over the Carolina Mudcats on Thursday night at Five County Stadium.
Trailing 2-1 entering the sixth, Winston-Salem (25-27, 63-53) came up with a big inning against Carolina (21-32, 60-62) reliever Cody Beckman (3-4). Tyler Frost led off the frame with an infield single before Andrew Vaughn drew a walk. After a Jameson Fisher strikeout, Carlos Perez drew the second walk of the inning to load the bases. The next batter, Mitch Roman, lined a single through the right side to bring home Frost and tie the score at two.
Following Roman's single, Johan Cruz lined a bases-clearing double into left-center field, putting the Dash ahead 5-2.
The Mudcats answered in the bottom of the sixth against Dash reliever Andrew Perez (2-2). To lead off the inning, Eddie Silva smacked a triple off the wall in center field before Pat McInerney drew a walk to put runners at the corners. Then, Perez threw a wild pitch, allowing Silva to score and McInerney to move to second. After two straight groundouts, Hairston grounded a ball that was misplayed by Yrizarri, allowing McInerney to score to make it 5-4
However, the Dash added an insurance run in the top of the seventh. With one out, Frost doubled into the right field corner before stealing third base. Following a lineout by Vaughn, Jameson Fisher hit a line-drive single into right field, scoring Frost to give Winston-Salem a 6-4 edge.
Armed with a two-run lead, the Dash bullpen shut down the Mudcats. Jacob Lindgren pitched 1.1 scoreless frames, while racking up two strikeouts. Then, Will Kincanon pitched two hitless innings while racking up three strikeouts to earn the save.
Looking to secure their third straight win, the Dash struck quickly against Mudcats starter Matt Smith in the top of the first. After a Steele Walker flyout, Frost crushed a solo homer off the scoreboard in left field to give Winston-Salem a 1-0 lead. Frost finished a triple shy of the cycle while scoring three runs on the night.
But, the Mudcats tied it up in the bottom of the second against Dash starter Konnor Pilkington. With two outs, Trevor Morrison singled through the left side. Then, Devin Hairston banged a double off the wall in left field, scoring Morrison to knot the contest at one.
Carolina took the lead in the bottom of the fifth. Following a groundout by Hairston, Brice Turang smacked a double into the left field corner. After a Tristen Lutz strikeout, Payton Henry hit a ground ball that went through the legs of third baseman Yeyson Yrizarri. The error allowed Turang to score, giving the Mudcats a 2-1 edge before the Dash broke the game open in the sixth.
Winston-Salem begins a three-game series with the Potomac Nationals on Friday at 7 p.m. Right-hander Jonathan Stiever (5-3, 2.38 ERA) will get the ball for the Dash against fellow righty Malvin Pena (5-8, 6.22 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
The Dash's series begins with Daddy-Daughter Date Night and a Fireworks Friday. Saturday's contest will be the final Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night of the season and will feature live music prior to the game. The series finale will be a Latin American Jersey Day and a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, powered by New Balance Winston-Salem will take following all three games.
For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Wood Ducks Wallop Fayetteville To Salvage Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Swept After 6-4 Series Finale Loss to Dash - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Score Eight in Seventh, Blast Potomac to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Trounce Woodpeckers in Series Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Pelicans Power Past P-Nats 11-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Peralta and Burke Pitch Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Four-Run Sixth Carries Dash to Sweep at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Get Swept by Blue Rocks on Thursday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Zach Clark Placed on IL; Wuilder Rodriguez Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Noah Zavolas Placed on IL; Scotty Sunitsch Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 15 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Rout Wood Ducks, Win Fifth Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Salem Scores Five Unanswered to Sink Frederick - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Take Seesaw Affair from Keys 7-5 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- LHP Kevin Escorcia activated off the injured list
- Varnell, Big Fifth Inning Push Rayados Past P-Nats on Sunday
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (August 18 vs. Potomac)
- Dash Drop Nail-Biter 4-3 against Potomac on Saturday
- Banuelos Set to Make Rehab Start for Dash on Saturday