Pelicans Power Past P-Nats 11-2
Woodbridge, VA - The Potomac Nationals (58-62, 28-25) dropped the rubber match of their series against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (48-72, 27-26) on Thursday night, missing an opportunity to gain ground in the division with an 11-2 loss.
LHP Tim Cate (L, 4-4) pitched a quality start, allowing three runs over 6.0 innings, but took the loss as the P-Nats ended their homestand with a 1-5 record. The game was close through six innings, but Myrtle Beach exploded for eight runs in the seventh to put the game out of reach.
The Pelicans struck first in the third inning as CF Zac Taylor chopped an RBI double down the third base line to take a 1-0 lead. Potomac would answer in their half of the inning when SS Gilbert Lara hit a RBI triple that Pelicans RF Jose Gutierrez lost in the lights. Lara would score one batter later on RF Jack Sundberg's RBI single to put Potomac ahead 2-1.
Potomac's lead would be short-lived, however, as 1B Luke Reynolds hit a two-run homer for the Pelicans in the fourth to put Myrtle Beach in front 3-2. The homer would prove to be the game-winning hit.
Cate and Pelicans LHP Brendon Little (W, 1-1) traded zeroes through the middle innings, with both starters completing 6.0 frames. As light rain turned into a steady drizzle, Myrtle Beach took advantage of extra opportunities to break the game open in the seventh off RHP Jacob Howell. 2B Carlos Sepulveda opened the scoring with an RBI double, and LF Grant Fennell followed with an RBI single before 3B Cam Balego blasted a two-run home run. DH Aramis Ademan, who entered the game as a pinch runner earlier in the inning, greeted RHP Angel Guillen with an RBI single to set the stage for Gutierrez's final RBI single to cap an eight-run inning.
RHP Scott Effross and RHP Jesus Camargo combined for 3.0 scoreless innings to complete the Pelicans victory and leave town with a series win. The P-Nats remain 2.5 games behind first-place Salem with 17 games remaining in the regular season.
The P-Nats hit the road for a three-game series against the Winston-Salem Dash on Friday night as RHP Malvin Peña faces off against RHP Jonathan Stiever. First pitch at BB&T Ballpark is set for 7:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show starting at 6:45. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Wood Ducks Wallop Fayetteville To Salvage Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Swept After 6-4 Series Finale Loss to Dash - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Score Eight in Seventh, Blast Potomac to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Trounce Woodpeckers in Series Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Pelicans Power Past P-Nats 11-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Peralta and Burke Pitch Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Four-Run Sixth Carries Dash to Sweep at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Get Swept by Blue Rocks on Thursday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Zach Clark Placed on IL; Wuilder Rodriguez Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Noah Zavolas Placed on IL; Scotty Sunitsch Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 15 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Rout Wood Ducks, Win Fifth Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Salem Scores Five Unanswered to Sink Frederick - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Take Seesaw Affair from Keys 7-5 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents