Saints Bury Indians in Series Opener
ST. PAUL, MINN. - The St. Paul Saints scored eight runs on six hits in the bottom of the first inning to bury the Indianapolis Indians on Tuesday night and take the series opener 16-1.
Indians (34-37) starting pitcher, Steven Wright was chased from the game before recording an out after giving up five runs on three hits, one of those being a home run from major league rehabber Rob Refsnyder. Joe Jacques entered the game and gave up three runs before finishing the inning with back-to-back ground outs.
The Saints (38-34) scored five more runs in the bottom of the second to extend their lead to 13-0.
Hunter Owen homered over the left field fence in the top of the eighth inning to score the lone run for Indy while St. Paul scored three more insurance runs in the bottom half of the inning to seal the lead at 16-1.
Wright (L, 4-5) took the loss on the mound for the Indians. Matt Eckelman, Blake Weiman and Shea Spitzbarth threw three combined scoreless innings for Indy. Chandler Shepherd (W, 5-4) earned the win throwing seven shut out innings for the Saints.
The two teams will face off again tomorrow night in a 8:05 PM ET start. RHP Beau Sulser (5-3, 3.29) will take the mound against LHP Charlie Barnes (5-3, 4.02).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 27, 2021
- Saints Bury Indians in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Pitching and Defense Earns Iowa Series Lead - Iowa Cubs
- Kerrigan's Career Night, Shepherd's Superb Performance Vault Saints to 16-1 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Sounds Snap Skid with Late Rally - Nashville Sounds
- Chasers Drop Series Opener to Mud Hens After Six-Run Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Payton Impresses in Debut to Lead Syracuse to 10-8 Win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener - Syracuse Mets
- Lopez Plates Pair as Bats Come up Just Short - Louisville Bats
- Flaherty Shines, But Redbirds Win Streak Ends - Memphis Redbirds
- Palka Homers Twice in Wings 5-3 Win Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Outlasts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wade Cruises, McCoy Homers in Tides Win Tuesday - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings soar in win over Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stewart, Clemens Combine for 7 RBI in Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Archer Sharp, Bulls Fall to Tides 3-1 - Durham Bulls
- WooSox-Bisons Postponed - Worcester Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-36) at St. Paul Saints (37-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- July 27 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Louisville - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 27, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 27, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Home Starting Tonight for Six in a Row - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Cruz, Contreras Among Prospects Promoted to Indianapolis
- Jared Oliva Worked to Make 2020 Goal a Reality
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58)
- Owen Launches Pair of Homers in 9-5 Win