Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory
(Rapid City, SD) - The Rapid City Rush extended their winning streak to five games on Friday night with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. The win marks the 22nd of the season in just the first 31 games, tying the win total from all of last season. Rapid City moves to 22-8-1 and now has a share of first place in the Northern Conference.
The intensity was high from the drop of the puck with total of three fights in the first period alone. The same could not be said for the offenses as it took over fifteen minutes for the first goal to be tallied. Finally breaking the scoreless tie was Brendon Hodge who received a centering pass from Derek LeBlanc, and the veteran was able to bury it for the 1-0 lead. Just 49 seconds later, the Mudbugs would answer back off the stick of defenseman Clay Plume who sent in a rebound to tie the score.
The Rush would regain the lead at 5:32 of the second when Brendan Cook squeaked a shot in through traffic for his team-leading 16th goal of the season. The Mudbugs would take their time, but eventually tie the score, this time on the powerplay. Off of the faceoff win, Chris St. Croix fired a shot on net the Jeff Kyrzakos deflected past Battochio to make it 2-2 heading into the third.
To begin the third, Bossier-Shreveport would take their first lead of the game with a slapshot from the right circle from Shawn Limpright that went top-shelf short-side. The Mudbugs looked as if they were picking up the win, but the Rush had other plans. With just over a minute left in regulation, Brendan Cook would score his second of the game. Luke Fritshaw weaved his way through the neutral zone before losing the puck just inside the offensive end where Cook fired it just inside the far post to tie the game and send it into overtime.
In overtime, the Rush would get their second powerplay of the game. With the 4-on-3 advantage, Hodge set up a one-timer from Jamie VanderVeeken who blasted it home to seal the 4-3 win.
The Rush take on the Mudbugs tomorrow at 7:05pm and tickets are still available.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.