RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa
(Southaven, MS) - RiverKings' goaltender Kevin Beech made 31 saves as Mississippi held on to beat the Odessa Jackalopes, 3-2, on Friday night at the DeSoto Civic Center. The loss drops Odessa's record to 25-6-3 on the season.
The Jacks closed the gap to 3-2, in the third period, on a power play goal from Dominic Leveille at 7:12. Leveille batted a puck out of the air after James Sanford's shot from the top of the circles ventured over the net and bounced back in front. Odessa pulled their goalie in the final minute but could not tie the game.
Ryan Campbell finished with a pair of goals for Mississippi.
The RiverKings opened the scoring with the first period's only goal at 8:19. Campbell banged home a rebound in the left circle on assists from Derek Landmesser and Matt Summers to make the score 1-0, Mississippi, after one period of play.
The offense picked up in period two as the two teams combined for three goals. Mississippi made it a 2-0 lead when Matt Summers scored a breakaway goal at 11:39. Summer's wrist shot just rolled across the goal line as Joel Martin nearly made the save. Jeff Pierce put Odessa on the board with a breakaway goal of his own at 14:30. Dominic Leveille had the assist on Pierce's wrist shot from the right circle. The RiverKings regained the two-goal lead with 22 seconds left in the period when Campbell scored his second of the game on a wrist shot from the right circle that deflected off a stick in front of the net. Mississippi held a 3-1 advantage entering the break.
The Jackalopes continue their road trip Saturday night in Wichita against the Thunder. Game time is set for 7:05 PM. The action can be heard on 102.1 Jack FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.