Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas - The Allen Americans lost the second contest of the North Texas Vintage Game Series 3-0 to the Texas Brahmas tonight. Allen's overall record is 22-8-2 (46 points).
Neither team could convert scoring opportunities in the first period to get on the board.
In end-to-end hockey in the second period, the Brahmas' Tyler Skworchinski scored 8:04 into the middle frame. Once Texas got the lead, they never gave it up.
The third period started with a waived-off goal for the Americans. Then, Mark Kolanos slipped the puck past Americans goalie Chris Whitley on a controversial goal. Whitley and Head Coach and General Manager Dwight Mullins thought the puck should have been whistled dead before Texas had the opportunity to score. Skworchinski wrapped up the game with another goal on a one-timer at 13:04.
Allen is 3-2-1 in the season series against Texas. No visiting team has won a game in the series.
Over 100 Allen fans made the trip across the Metroplex to cheer on their Americans in the last contest of the North Texas Vintage Game Series. The Americans wore Dallas Black Hawks jerseys, while the Brahmas donned Fort Worth Wings sweaters in a night commemorating old minor league hockey rivals in the DFW area. The Ice Angels and young fans formed a tunnel for the players to show their support as the players headed from the locker room to the ice.
Prior to the game, forward Nathan O'Nabigon was placed on 14-day IR retroactive to Jan. 2, and Mick Berge was activated from it.
Allen travels to Mississippi tomorrow night to take on the RiverKings at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.