Thunder Downed by Oilers
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder lost 4-1 to the Tulsa Oilers at the Kansas Coliseum on Friday night.
Tulsa took a 1-0 lead at 11:12 in the first when Thomas Harrison snuck a bouncing puck through the five-hole of Ian Keserich. Derek Eastman made it 2-0 with a power play goal at 16:41, setup by Aaron Davis. Davis slid the puck to the right of the crease from behind the Thunder net, allowing Eastment to punch it past the backdoor of Keserich.
Tulsa crashed three players to the net, eventually setting up a wide open chance that Jeff Gumaer finished off at 12:20 in the second period to make it 3-0. Wichita cracked Oilers' goaltender at 14:57 in the second on Steve Makway's first Thunder goal. Jay Henderson entered the zone one-on-one down the right boards before making a cross-slot drop pass to Makway. Cann committed just enough to his right for Makway to snap a shot under the left corner of the net.
The Oilers put the game away with an empty net goal from Troy Riddle in the final minute. Ian Keserich saved 28 of 31 in the loss. Trevor Cann stopped 27 of 28 for the victory. Wichita was 0 for 4 on the power play, while Tulsa was 1 for 5.
The Thunder next plays on Saturday when they host the Odessa Jackalopes at 7:05 p.m. in the final game in the history of the Kansas Coliseum. Prior to the game, the All-Kansas Coliseum Team will be unveiled. For tickets, call the Thunder office at (316) 264-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.