Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5
LAREDO, TX The Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League beat the Colorado Eagles 6-5 in a shootout Friday night at the Laredo Entertainment Center. The Bucks won their second straight game to improve to 15-10-7 (36 points) and remain two points behind Texas for third place in the Southern Conference.
Mike Looby scored the game-winning goal in the shootout and Kyle Gajewski stopped three of four Colorado shootout attempts to pick up the win. Gajewski set aside 37 of 42 Eagles shots in the game to improve to 5-5-2 in net.
Robin Richards (2-1=3) and Jeff Bes (1-2=3) each had three points to lead the Bucks offensively. It was Richard's first multi-goal and multi-point game of the campaign.
Colorado scored two unanswered goals in the third period including scoring the tying goal from Riley Nelson with just 17 seconds left in regulation to force overtime. Nelson's goal came with an extra attacker.
The Bucks came out on fire in the first period as they scored four power-play goals to take a 4-1 lead after 20 minutes.
Robin Richards gave the Bucks a 1-0 lead when he jammed in a rebound on the power-play 3:35 into the first period. The strike was Richard's third goal of the season.
The Bucks (9-4-4 at home) would make it 2-0 at the 8:29 mark when Jeff Bes scored a power-play goal from the top of the right circle to pick up his 11th of the year. Bes is now tied with Doug Lawrence for 25th place in CHL history with 191 goals.
Laredo would increase their lead to 3-0 when they scored on a two-man advantage with 8:25 left in the first period. Todd Griffith hammered in a shot from the bottom of the right circle to score his first goal of the season. Griffith was signed by the Bucks about an hour before Friday's game.
After Griffith's goal the Eagles (21-6-3) pulled Mike Mole from the game and replaced him with Andrew Penner. Mole stopped five of eight shots he faced. Andrew Penner stopped 20 of 22 shots in relief of Mole.
Colorado cut the Bucks lead to 3-1 with 6:53 left in the first period when Steve Haddon whipped in a shot from the top left hash mark. The goal was Haddon's 10th of the campaign.
Laredo made it 4-1 with just 15 seconds left in the first period when Jared Mohr laced a wrist shot from the point in on the power-play. Mohr set a new career high with his fourth goal of the season.
Laredo outshot Colorado in the first period 13-11.
Colorado picked up a power-play goal 12:16 into the second period to cut the Bucks lead to 4-2. Ed McGrane poked in a power-play goal right in front of the Bucks net to score his 15th of the season.
The Eagles outshoot the Bucks 20-6 in the second period.
The Bucks are 11-0-3 when leading after the second period this season.
Nelson cut the Bucks lead to 4-3 just 41 seconds into the third period when he scored from the top of the left circle.
Laredo increased their lead to 5-3 when Richards jammed his second goal of the night in from just outside of the Eagles crease 7:15 into the third period.
Colorado outshot the Bucks in the third period 10-5 and 42-31 in the game.
Neither team scored in overtime with the Bucks gaining a 6-1 shot advantage.
The Bucks will play their final game before the all star break Saturday night when they travel to Corpus Christi for a 7:45pm game.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.