Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - All-Star defenseman Jon Landry tallied two goals and added an assist and the Arizona Sundogs extended their season-long winning streak to three games with a 4-1 win over the expansion Missouri Mavericks Friday night at the Independence Events Center in Independence, Missouri.
Kyle McNulty carried a shutout into the game's final period before Jeff Christian snapped the netminder's scoreless streak at 154:54 with his 15th of the season from Jeff MacDermid and Tyler Kindle with 7:24 remaining in the game.
McNulty finished with 21 saves on 22 shots Friday and has allowed just two goals on 78 shots for a .974 save percentage in his last three games, all wins.
The Sundogs tallied two 5-on-3 power-play goals in the contest to finish 2-for-11 with the man advantage while holding the Mavericks scoreless on six power-play opportunities.
Landry put Arizona up 2-0 at 16:02 of the second period with a highlight reel goal and his first of two tallies on the night.
On a delayed penalty call and skating end-to-end, Landry weaved his way through a number of Missouri players before reaching a forehand shot past Mavericks goaltender Doug Groenestege.
Steve Potvin and Kyle Hood assisted on the play to give the visiting Sundogs a two-goal cushion heading into the third period.
Veteran defenseman and player/assistant coach Chris Bartolone opened scoring 14:38 into the contest to give Arizona a 1-0 lead.
Already on a two-man advantage and skating 6-on-3 on a delayed slashing penalty to Mavericks forward Derek Pallardy, Bartolone fired a slap shot from the top of the circles past Groenestege for his fifth of the year from Landry and rookie forward Joey Sides.
Arizona held Missouri to a season-low three shots in the opening frame, outshooting the expansion club, 8-3.
Sides stretched the Sundogs' lead to three with his fourth goal and sixth point in his last three games midway through the final period, moving him into a tied for third in scoring among rookies with 19 points, two back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Garbutt (Corpus Christi).
Defenseman Mike Nesdill picked up his 12th assist of the season, skating from his own end before dumping a centering feed to Sides striding through the slot.
Landry closed out scoring with his second goal and third point of the night on Arizona's second two-man advantage marker of the game with 2:57 to play in the contest from Konrad Reeder and Kevin Gardner.
With the win, the Sundogs (12-18-3) now sit just seven points back of the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees and the Southern Conference's fifth and final playoff spot and eight points back of fourth-place Laredo.
Arizona continues a five-game road trip tomorrow night at 6:05pm (Arizona time) against the Missouri Mavericks. Listen to the game live on KDDL Cattle Country' 94.3FM, the Official Radio Home of Arizona Sundogs Hockey, and online at www.cattlecountryradio.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.