Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa
SOUTHAVEN, MS --- Ryan Campbell scored a pair of goals, and Matt Summers added another, as the Mississippi RiverKings defeated the Odessa Jackalopes 3-2 on Friday, January 8th in Central Hockey League action in Southaven, Mississippi.
The victory was the third straight win for the RiverKings and came against the top-ranked team in the Central Hockey League, as Odessa leads the overall points race and paces the CHL Southern Conference standings.
Campbell opened the scoring with his 11th goal of the year at 11:41 of the first period, giving the RiverKings a 1-0 lead after twenty minutes.
Summers added to the margin in the second period, scoring his sixth goal of the year with eight and a half minutes remaining for a 2-0 advantage.
Odessa cut the margin in half on a breakaway goal scored by Jeff Pierce nearly two minutes later, netting his 16th goal of the year for a 2-1 Mississippi lead with five and a half minutes left in the period.
But, Campbell would deflect the puck into the net with 22 seconds left in the period, following a shot from defenseman Kevin Truelson, for a 3-1 second intermission lead. Summers would also get an assist on the goal.
Dominic Leveille answered for Odessa at the 7:12 mark of the final frame, scoring his 12th of the season to again cut the margin to one goal at 3-2, but the RiverKings were able to hold the Jackalopes off the scoreboard for the remainder of the game.
Odessa pulled goaltender Joel Martin late in the contest, but could not score with the extra attacker.
Mississippi was outshot in the game 33-26 and was held to just six shots on goal the final twenty minutes. Odessa's vaunted power play, which averaged a 26 percent success rate coming into the game, did score once with the man advantage in two opportunities.
The RiverKings were scoreless in just power play chances of their own.
Mississippi goaltender Kevin Beech (6-2-1) won his third straight game with 31-save performance, while Joel Martin (13-3-2) took the loss for Odessa with a 23 save effort.
With the victory, Mississippi moves to 17-13-3 for 37 points in the CHL North standings, while Odessa lost in regulation for just the sixth time and now has a record of 25-6-3.
The RiverKings will host Allen on Saturday, January 9th at the DeSoto Civic Center, beginning at 7:05 PM. Odessa plays at the same in Wichita.
For RiverKings ticket information, call 662-342-1755 or go online to www.riverkings.com today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Rush Top Mudbugs with Thrilling, 4-3, Overtime Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Come From Behind but Lose in SO - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Win OT Thriller in Rapid - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Clip Eagles In Shootout 6-5 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Downed by Sundogs, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Campbell, RiverKings Edge Odessa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans drop second Vintage Series game 3-0 to Texas - Allen Americans
- Landry Helps Extend 'Dogs Season-Long Win Streak to Three Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Downed by Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Add Tyler Kindle And Braden Walls - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elliott Comes Out Of Retirement To Rejoin Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Assist In The Community - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Tackle Jackalopes Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo's David Nimmo Wins December's Oakley Three Star Award - CHL
- Nimmo Named "Oakley Three Star Player of the Month" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.