RubberDucks Take down Flying Squirrels
The Akron RubberDucks took the series finale against the Richmond Flying Squirrels with five runs in the first four innings to complete the four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon at Canal Park by a score of 5-1.
The RubberDucks jumped out to the early lead thanks to a two-out rally that began with Mitch Longo working a nine pitch walk to reach first base. Longo would then hustle around the bases and score on a perfectly-placed Trenton Brooks RBI double down the right field line to give the Ducks the 1-0 lead. The Ducks wouldn't stop there as Alexis Pantoja singled to left field which brought in Trenton Brooks and doubled the Akron lead to 2-0 after one inning of play.
Akron RubberDucks starter Tanner Tully was solid all day as he only allowed a single run in the bottom of the second inning due to back-to-back doubles to the RubberDucks lead to 2-1. Tanner Tully has had success in his three starts against the Richmond Flying Squirrels, posting a season-long stat line of 17.2 innings pitched, allowing only 20 hits and seven runs (three earned), while striking out nine batters with a 1.53 ERA. Jake Paulson came out of the bullpen once again for the RubberDucks and worked 2.1 innings before Anthony Gose slammed the door shut in the top of the ninth to earn his first double-A save.
The RubberDucks offense jumped into action early and often, scoring two in the bottom of the first inning with Trenton Brook's RBI double to right and Alexis Pantoja's RBI single to left. Ernie Clement drove in the third run of the game for the RubberDucks to right field over the head of Johneshwy Fargas to score Logan Ice and give the Ducks the 3-1 lead. Then in the bottom of the fourth, the RubberDucks would add two insurance runs when Alex Call laced a line drive single to left field, scoring Andruw Monasterio and then Nolan Jones drawing a bases loaded walk to put the Ducks up for good, 5-1.
The RubberDucks won the season series against the Richmond Flying Squirrels by a mark of ... This four-game sweep marks the second of that kind this season with the last coming July 25-28 in Hartford against the Yard Goats, where where the Ducks exploded for 29 runs in four games... This was the first four-game series sweep at Canal Park since July 19-22 of 2018, which was also a series victory over the Richmond Flying Squirrels... Jake Paulson has been a swiss army knife for the Ducks out of the bullpen accruing 11 innings of relief work since August 6th, and in that span, Paulson has lowered his ERA to a season-best 3.72 ... Time of Game: 2:49... Attendance: 6,994
On the Pond
The RubberDucks now hit the road for their final road trip of the 2019 season as they head to Altoona to take on the Curve in a four-game set, beginning on Monday night at 6:05 p.m. from Peoples Natural Gas Stadium. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. Eli Morgan (6-3, 3.66) will face off against Domingo Robles (3-6, 4.55) of the Curve to open the series.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Ponies Finish out Road Schedule with Win over Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Take down Flying Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- Herb's Strong Start Leads to 4-3 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Squirrels Swept by 'Ducks with Sunday Finale Loss - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Long Ball Dooms Fisher Cats in Final Sunday Home Game of 2019 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Sunday, 5-4 to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Comeback Try Falls Short for Curve on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Thunder Win Nailbiter, Take Series in Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Earn Split with Hartford, Lead Division into Final Week - Reading Fightin Phils
- Goats' Hopes Dealt Near-Knock out Blow by Fightins - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves Return to UPMC Park on Monday for the Final Homestand of 2019 - Erie SeaWolves
- SeaWolves Fall on Sunday to Senators 3-2 - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #131: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (27-39, 62-68) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (29-35, 60-71) - 1:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 25th vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2