RubberDucks Score Game's Only Runs in the Fifth for 2-0 Victory
Run scoring hits by shortstop Ernie Clement and third baseman Nolan Jones in the fifth inning snapped a scoreless tie and helped the Akron RubberDucks top the Richmond Flying Squirrels 2-0 on Saturday at Canal Park.
With the game scoreless entering the bottom of the fifth, Clement lined a single to center field, scoring Oscar Gonzalez and two batters later Jones doubled to left-center field, scoring Clement to give Akron a 2-0 lead.
LHP Sam Hentges started for Akron and he went 4.2 scoreless innings, allowing three hits, walking five and striking out five. David Speer relieved him with two runners on in the fifth inning and got Joey Bart to fly out to centerfield to earn the win. Cleveland Indians' rehabbing pitcher Jefry Rodriguez threw two scoreless innings with a pair of strikeouts. Ben Krauth retired all six batters faced in his two innings to earn his first save of the year.
Four of Akron's seven hits went for extra bases with doubles from Trenton Brooks, Jones, and O. Gonzalez. Mitch Longo had a triple to leadoff the eighth inning. Clement went 2-for-3 with a run scored, run batted in and he was hit by a pitch. O. Gonzalez was the other Duck with a multi-hit game.
Bradley Zimmer went 0-for-3 in his fourth rehab appearance with Akron this week. For the week, he hit .308 (4-for-13) with 2 2B, a HR, and 3 RBI...Tonight's scoreless outing for Hentges was his first since 5/15 vs. Bowie, a span of 16 starts. The five walks matched a season high, done twice before (last: 7/24 at Trenton)...The save by Krauth was his first since 6/26/18 with Lynchburg...Jefry Rodriguez finished his two rehab appearances this week with a line of 3.2 IP, 2 H, 1 HR, 3 K... Akron now leads Richmond 7-4 in the season series and 5-2 at Canal Park...Time of Game: 2:50...Attendance: 8,384 (sellout #6 in 2019; third-largest crowd at Canal Park since the 2014 renovations).
On the Pond
The Ducks and Flying Squirrels will meet in the finale of their four-game set at 2:05 p.m. Sunday at Canal Park. The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. LHP Tanner Tully (7-11, 4.72) will start for Akron against Richmond's RHP Brandon Lawson (5-8, 3.56).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- RubberDucks Score Game's Only Runs in the Fifth for 2-0 Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- First Place SeaWolves Take Down Senators in 11 - Erie SeaWolves
- Bossart's Big Hit Propels Ponies to Win over Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fisher Cats' Playoff Hopes Take a Hit with 4-2 Loss on Saturday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Crab Cakes Come Back, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Blanked by 'Ducks on Saturday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 11-Inning Loss Breaks Streak - Harrisburg Senators
- Santos' Electric Fastball Stokes Goats' Playoff Hopes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Fightins Downed 9-4, Still Lead East - Reading Fightin Phils
- Perez Powers Baysox Past Curve - Altoona Curve
- It Only Takes One: Wade and 'Dogs Beat Trenton 1-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Bats Blanked in Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Limited Tickets Remain Tonight - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #130: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-39, 61-68) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (29-34, 60-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 24th vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.