Round Rock Express Swept In Doubleheader At Iowa
DES MOINES, Iowa - Bobby Scales' two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the sixth snapped a 2-2 tie and gave the Iowa Cubs a 4-2 victory over the Round Rock Express in the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader at Principal Park. The Cubs (9-10) swept the doubleheader, winning each seven-inning game in their final at bat. The Express (6-13) have lost 10 games by three runs or less, falling 4-3 in the first game of the doubleheader.
Round Rock led 2-1 entering the bottom of the sixth in the second game. James Adduci tied the game with a one-out single, and Scales delivered the game-winning hit two batters later.
That made a winner of starter Casey Coleman (1-2), who allowed two runs on six hits and two walks with two strikeouts over 6.0 innings. Mitch Atkins worked around a one-out Yordany Ramirez single in the seventh to record his first save of the season.
Wilton Lopez (0-1) suffered the loss in his first game with the Express after starting the season with the Astros. He allowed three runs on four hits over 2.0 innings. Starter Wesley Wright yielded one run on six hits and a walk with one strikeout over 5.0 innings.
Kevin Cash drew a bases-loaded walk in the second to snap a scoreless tie. Iowa tied the game on Marquez Smith's RBI double in the third. The Express recaptured the lead in the fourth on Cash's two-out RBI single.
Matt Kata was 3-for-4 in the second game, collecting the lone multiple-hit game for the Express. Smith, Bryan LeHair and Wellington Castillo all had two-hit games for the Cubs.
In the first game, Round Rock led 3-1 entering the bottom of the seventh but could not hold off the Cubs. Brad Snyder's one-out, two-run double tied the game; he later scored on LeHair's game-ending infield single.
Casey Daigle (1-1) took the loss in the first game, allowing all three runs in the seventh. He allowed four hits and two walks with two strikeouts over 1.2 innings. Starter Andy Van Hekken allowed one run on three hits and no walks with six strikeouts over 4.0 innings.
Jeff Samardzija (1-0) picked up the victory in relief for the Cubs. He worked the game's final 1.2 innings perfectly with one strikeout. Starter Thomas Diamond tossed 5.0 scoreless innings on three hits and a walk with five strikeouts.
Darwin Barney's second-inning RBI single gave Iowa a 1-0 lead that held up until the Express rallied for a three-run sixth. Jason Castro's bases-loaded walk tied the game, and Kata followed with two-run double to put the Express ahead 3-1.
Kata and Brian Bogusevic both had two-hit games for the Express in the opener. Snyder and Matt Camp had two hits each for the Cubs.
Round Rock enjoys its first off-day of the 2010 season Wednesday before opening a four-game series Thursday at Albuquerque. First pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. CDT at Isotope Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 27, 2010
- Rainiers Rained Out Again - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use Long Ball To Defeat Sky Sox, 10-3 - Reno Aces
- Hacker, Grizzlies Hold Off Beavers, Rain - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Swept In Doubleheader At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Rally for Pair of Wins - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Avoid Sweep with 9-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Complete Sweep, Downing Z's 12-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Steal 3-2 10-Inning Win Over Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Score 12 For Series Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- A Giant Night, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- FLIR Announces Partnership with Portland Beavers and Portland Timbers - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Lead RedHawks to 12-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks' Arms Blank Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched
- Encore Drive-In Night Featuring Kane Brown Comes to Dell Diamond
- Make It a September to Remember at Dell Diamond