Hacker, Grizzlies Hold Off Beavers, Rain
PORTLAND, Ore. - Eric Hacker struck out eight batters over 5 1/3 strong innings, Buster Posey had a pair of RBI doubles and the Fresno Grizzlies completed a three-game sweep over the Portland Beavers with an 8-2 win at a rainy PGE Park Tuesday afternoon.
The Grizzlies (12-7) withstood a pair of rain delays totaling 55 minutes to win for the eighth time in their last nine games.
Hacker (4-0), who owned the second-lowest ERA (1.10) in the Pacific Coast League entering the game, yielded just one run on five hits and did not walk a batter.
Posey, the Giants' highly-touted catcher, boosted his team-leading average to .361 with two of the Grizzlies' six doubles. Ryan Rohlinger went 3-for-5 with two RBIs and Mike McBryde contributed two hits and two RBIs as Fresno beat Portland for the sixth time in seven games this season.
Cesar Carrillo (1-1), who took the league's third-best ERA (1.15) into the contest, allowed five runs on seven hits and two walks in 4 1/3 innings to suffer his first defeat.
Sean Kazmar had three hits while Mike Baxter and Aaron Cunningham both had two hits and an RBI for the Beavers (9-10).
The Grizzlies took a 3-0 lead in the third inning when Rohlinger hit an RBI single and Posey laced an RBI double to left-center.
The first band of rain came in the bottom of the fourth with the Beavers batting, causing a 22-minute delay.
When play resumed, Baxter plated Kazmar with a single to left off Hacker.
Carrillo was chased in the top of the fifth after allowing three doubles and recording just one out. Brock Bond and McBryde led off the frame with two-baggers before Posey logged his second RBI double of the day.
Fresno would score three more in the sixth inning. Jesus Guzman led off with a double and Ben Copeland and Hacker followed with singles. Copeland later scored on a forceout and Hacker came home on Rohlinger's second RBI single.
Portland showed life in the bottom of the sixth, loading the bases with just one out. Alex Hinshaw, however, struck out Aaron Cunningham and Dusty Ryan to escape the jam.
A second rain delay, one of 33 minutes, stopped play in the top of the seventh.
The Beavers have an off day Wednesday before traveling to Salt Lake to start a four-game series with the Bees Thursday night at 5:35 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Prior to the game, Beavers left-hander Nathan Culp was transferred to Class AA San Antonio and catcher-infielder Eric Munson was activated from the disabled list ... the Beavers and Grizzlies were rained out Monday night and will make up the game as part of a doubleheader scheduled for June 23 at PGE Park ... the Beavers matched a season high by using six pitchers in the game ... the Beavers had not allowed more than four runs in any of their last seven games.
Beavers Game File TUESDAY'S GAME: Fresno 8, Beavers 2 WINNING PITCHER: Hacker (4-0) LOSING PITCHER: Carrillo (1-1) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: None THURSDAY'S GAME: Portland (TBA) at Salt Lake (Trevor Reckling: 2-0, 4.95), 5:35 p.m. (Pacific); tape-delayed audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com at 7 p.m. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 27, 2010
- Rainiers Rained Out Again - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use Long Ball To Defeat Sky Sox, 10-3 - Reno Aces
- Hacker, Grizzlies Hold Off Beavers, Rain - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Swept In Doubleheader At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Rally for Pair of Wins - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Avoid Sweep with 9-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Complete Sweep, Downing Z's 12-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Steal 3-2 10-Inning Win Over Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Score 12 For Series Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- A Giant Night, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- FLIR Announces Partnership with Portland Beavers and Portland Timbers - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Lead RedHawks to 12-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks' Arms Blank Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss