Sounds Complete Sweep, Downing Z's 12-1
The Nashville Sounds completed a four-game sweep over the host New Orleans Zephyrs on Wednesday afternoon at Zephyr Field, setting season highs with 12 runs and 17 hits in a 12-1 win.
Sounds starting pitcher Chase Wright turned in a stellar performance, pitching seven innings and allowing just six hits and one walk while striking out one. Zephyrs starter Jose Sosa went just four innings, surrendering five runs on 10 hits and striking out four. With the win, Wright improves to 2-0 on the year, while the loss brings Sosa's record to 1-1.
Six Nashville players recorded multi-hit efforts Wednesday afternoon, including catcher Jonathan Lucroy, a former Louisiana-Lafayette star, who went 4-for-6. Eric Farris and Ray Olmedo, the first and second hitters in the Sounds lineup, each tallied three hits and scored three runs, while third baseman Adam Heether and center fielder Norris Hopper each drove home three runs.
Zephyrs first baseman Lee Mitchell and left fielder Jason Lane had three hits apiece. Lane delivered the lone Zephyrs' RBI in the game, breaking up the shutout in the eighth inning.
After their first off day of the season, New Orleans looks to regroup by traveling to Oklahoma City for a four-game series against the division-leading RedHawks, beginning Thursday night at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 27, 2010
- Rainiers Rained Out Again - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use Long Ball To Defeat Sky Sox, 10-3 - Reno Aces
- Hacker, Grizzlies Hold Off Beavers, Rain - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Swept In Doubleheader At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Rally for Pair of Wins - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Avoid Sweep with 9-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Complete Sweep, Downing Z's 12-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Steal 3-2 10-Inning Win Over Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Score 12 For Series Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- A Giant Night, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- FLIR Announces Partnership with Portland Beavers and Portland Timbers - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Lead RedHawks to 12-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks' Arms Blank Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.