I-Cubs Rally for Pair of Wins
The Iowa Cubs swept the doubleheader versus the Round Rock Express Tuesday afternoon winning game one 4-3 and game two 4-2 on a sunny day at Principal Park.
The Cubs came-from-behind to defeat the Express each game. In game one Iowa took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning when Bryan LaHair scored on Darwin Barney's single. However, the Express plated three runs in the sixth inning when when six consecutive batters reached base and the team batted around in the inning. Matt Kata scored two RBI in the inning and was 2-for-3 in the game.
Down 3-1 in the seventh inning, the Cubs' Sam Fuld singled, and advanced to second on Matt Camp's single. The duo was driven in when Brad Snyder doubled to tie the game at three. With two outs Bryan LaHair drove in Snyder for the winning run. Snyder extended his hit streak to 11 games, going 2-for-4.
Jeff Samardzija pitched 1.2 innings to earn the win, while Round Rock's Casey Daigle was tagged with the loss and blown save.
In game two Iowa was again able to overcome Round Rock for the win. The Express put the first run on the board in the second inning but the Cubs tied it in the third when Marquez Smith doubled in pitcher Casey Coleman. Round Rock took a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning. A three-run sixth inning pushed the Cubs ahead. Micah Hoffpauir led off with a double and LaHair's double followed. Darwin Barney drove in Hoffpauir with a sacrifice fly to tie the game 2-2. Pinch-hitter Bobby Scales then doubled for the lead and 4-2 final.
Coleman allowed six hits, two runs and struck out two in six innings of work for the win. Round Rock's Wilton Lopez took the loss, allowing four hits and three runs in two innings.
The Cubs have an off day tomorrow before traveling to Omaha for one game Thursday. The team returns to Des Moines for a three-game series Friday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 27, 2010
- Rainiers Rained Out Again - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use Long Ball To Defeat Sky Sox, 10-3 - Reno Aces
- Hacker, Grizzlies Hold Off Beavers, Rain - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Swept In Doubleheader At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Rally for Pair of Wins - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Avoid Sweep with 9-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Complete Sweep, Downing Z's 12-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Steal 3-2 10-Inning Win Over Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Score 12 For Series Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- A Giant Night, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- FLIR Announces Partnership with Portland Beavers and Portland Timbers - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Lead RedHawks to 12-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks' Arms Blank Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.