Roadrunners Held off Scoreboard in Second Loss of Season
Loveland, Colorado - The Tucson Roadrunners wrapped up their road series with the Colorado Eagles Saturday night, suffering their second loss of the season, after conceding the lone goal six minutes into the first period.
Colorado opened up the scoring with a goal by Mike Vecchione less than six minutes into the first period, his first of the season. Despite several scoring chances for both teams, the final 54:06 would be without another goal, and Colorado would make out with a 1-0 win. Tucson was held scoreless for the first time all season, with all 20 shots on goal being turned away. Eagles rookie goaltender Trent Miner earned his first AHL shutout. Connor LaCouvee made his first start in net for Tucson, making 36 saves on 37 shots, including some breakaway saves that kept the Roadrunners in the game. The Roadrunners drop to 5-2 on the season, while Colorado improves to 3-3-2-0. These two teams won't face off again until April 22 in Tucson, in another three-game set.
The Roadrunners return home for a three-game series with the Texas Stars. Game one will be Wednesday night, March 3rd at the Tucson Convention Center at 7:00 p.m. You can listen to the game in Tucson on FOX 1450 AM and on the iHeart Radio app or watch the game on AHL TV.
THEY SAID IT
"Our penalty-kill was very strong tonight, and [Connor] LaCouvee made big saves. Unfortunately, we shied away from shooting the puck and took far too many penalties."
Roadrunners head coach Steve Potvin after the game on his takeaways from Saturday night's 1-0 defeat to Colorado.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
POTENT PENALTY-KILL - The Roadrunners were a perfect five-for-five on the penalty-kill Saturday night against Colorado, improving to 24/26 on the season, tied for second-best in the AHL with Hartford. Their 18.2 power-play percentage ranks first in the AHL Pacific Division as well.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2021
- Griffins' Winning Streak Snapped at Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Answer with 8-4 Win - Chicago Wolves
- Hogs Weekly: IceHogs Prepare for Four-Game Homestand Starting this Week at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Today's Game at Cleveland Postponed - Rockford IceHogs
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change - AHL
- Blue Jackets Reassign Dalpe, MacInnis to Cleveland from Taxi Squad - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Monsters Close Four-Game Season Series Today in Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Carry 3-2 Lead Through Third Period - Texas Stars
- Roadrunners Held off Scoreboard in Second Loss of Season - Tucson Roadrunners
- Miner's First Pro Shutout Leads Colorado to 1-0 Win over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Erase Three-Goal Hole, Down Reign 6-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Tucson Roadrunners' Road Ahead: Week of April 12, 2021
- Michael Carcone Named AHL Player of Week
- Roadrunners Even Up Season Series With San Diego Gulls With Dominant 4-1 Victory Saturday Night
- Game #23 San Diego at Tucson
- Mike Carcone Nets Four Goals In High-Scoring Battle With Gulls