River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0
SALT LAKE CITY - The River Cats were blanked by the Salt Lake Bees on Tuesday night at Spring Mobile Ballpark, 10-0.
For just the third time this season, Sacramento was shut out in game, managing just three hits Tuesday against four Salt Lake pitchers. Daric Barton, Hiroyuki Nakajima and Michael Taylor were the lone Cats hitters with a hit in the game, although Taylor's double was his 402nd career hit as a River Cat, eclipsing the old mark previously held by Esteban GermÃÂ¡n. Taylor tied the mark with a three-hit performance Monday night at Raley Field.
Bruce Billings (8-4), who entered Tuesday's game as the PCL win leader, failed to get out of the fourth inning. Billings allowed five earned runs on eight hits in 3.1 innings of work, striking out three and walking two. He surrendered a season-high three home runs, losing for the second-straight game after winning his previous six starts.
Salt Lake starter Matt Shoemaker (6-9) picked up the win, holding the River Cats to just two hits in five scoreless frames.
Scott Moore reached base three times-all on walks-while Barton and Taylor each doubled. The top four batters in the Cats' order went a combined 0-for-14 with five strikeouts.
Sacramento and Salt Lake continue the series Wednesday evening at Spring Mobile Ballpark. On Wednesday, River Cats LHP Justin Thomas (3-5, 4.15 ERA) is scheduled to square off against Salt Lake RHP Jarrett Grube (2-2, 3.79 ERA) at 6:05 p.m. PT.
The River Cats return home for an 11-game homestand beginning Saturday, June 22, at Raley Field against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. The homestand will feature four fireworks shows, culminating with the annual July 3rd fireworks extravaganza, the biggest show of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2013
- Z's Win on Skipworth's Walk-Off Grand Slam in Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skipworth's Slam Sinks RedHawks, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Split Doubleheader in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Allow 16 Hits in 16-4 Loss to the Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hayes' Late Homer Salvages Twin Bill Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Crush Colorado Springs, 16-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Split Twin Bill in Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Triple-A All-Star FanFest Comes to Reno July 14-15 - Reno Aces
- Bees' June 21 Game to Feature Food Challenge with Kobayashi - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks vs. Zephyrs - Game Notes - June 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 19th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kyle Fleming Celebrates Home Run For Life at June 22 RedHawks Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Easley Slams Aces to Walk Off Win - Reno Aces
- Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chris Volstad's Strong Outing Leads Colorado Springs over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Struggling Storm Chasers Fall to Topes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.