Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory
Dean Anna's two-run triple broke a seventh inning tie and helped the Tucson Padres to a 5-2 win over the Las Vegas 51s Tuesday at Kino Stadium. The Padres are now two games out of first place and have sole possession of second place in the Southern Division.
The 51s scored first in the top of the second on Juan Centeno's RBI single to center. Tucson starting pitcher Burch Smith helped his own cause in the bottom half of the second with an RBI single to tie the score. Las Vegas regained the lead in the sixth on Ike Davis's RBI single through the right side of the infield. Back-to-back doubles from Brandon Allen and Cody Decker in the bottom of the sixth knotted the score at 2-2.
After Jaff Decker and Daniel Robertson reached on walks, Anna sent a triple down the right field line to put the Padres ahead by two runs in the seventh. Rene Rivera followed with a sacrifice fly to left on the next pitch, bringing home Anna for a 5-2 lead. Miles Mikolas retired the side in the ninth to seal the win and pick up his 13th save.
Kevin Quackenbush (1-0) earned the win in his Triple-A debut after pitching two innings of scoreless relief. Former Tucson Padre Greg Burke (1-1) was charged with the loss after surrendering three runs on two hits in 1.1 innings of work. Smith went 5.1 innings in his fourth start for Tucson and allowed two runs while striking out five.
Next Game: Wednesday, 7:05 pm vs. Las Vegas (Mets affiliate) - Las Vegas RHP Matt Fox (1-2, 5.63) vs. Tucson RHP Sean O'Sullivan (6-3, 3.70). One-dollar hot dogs and Social Media night. Game coverage begins at 6:55 pm on 1290 AM The Source and tucsonpadres.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2013
- Z's Win on Skipworth's Walk-Off Grand Slam in Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skipworth's Slam Sinks RedHawks, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Split Doubleheader in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Allow 16 Hits in 16-4 Loss to the Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hayes' Late Homer Salvages Twin Bill Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Crush Colorado Springs, 16-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Split Twin Bill in Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Triple-A All-Star FanFest Comes to Reno July 14-15 - Reno Aces
- Bees' June 21 Game to Feature Food Challenge with Kobayashi - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks vs. Zephyrs - Game Notes - June 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 19th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kyle Fleming Celebrates Home Run For Life at June 22 RedHawks Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Easley Slams Aces to Walk Off Win - Reno Aces
- Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chris Volstad's Strong Outing Leads Colorado Springs over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Struggling Storm Chasers Fall to Topes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Padres Stories
- Triple-A Showdown at Kino Stadium from April 11 - 14
- Triple-A Baseball Returns to Tucson for Four More Days
- Feder To Receive Prestigious Presidential Citation At Baseball Winter Meetings Today
- Food Drive at Kino Stadium for Victims of Recent Mexico Weather Disasters
- Vamos a Tucson Mexican Baseball Fiesta Is Thursday Through Sunday