Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Tacoma Rainiers let an early lead slip away in a 4-1 series-opening loss to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at Security Service Field on Tuesday night.
Tacoma jumped out to a 1-0 edge in the top of the second inning. Outfielder Stefen Romero led off the frame with a double, and then scored on Rich Poythress' RBI single one out later.
The score held until the Sky Sox put together an insurmountable two-run inning in the fifth. Hernan Iribarren's sacrifice bunt allowed the tying run to score from third with one out. Lars Davis drove in Iribarren with a go-ahead RBI single in the next at-bat.
Tacoma was limited to six hits, with Romero's 2-for-4 effort leading the lineup. Romero is now batting .400 (12x30) over his first eight games played during the Rainiers current road trip. Of his last 15 hits, nine have now gone for extra bases.
Starter Erasmo Ramirez (2-2) was dealt the loss after surrendering four runs, three earned, on five hits over 6.0 innings. Ramirez extended his scoreless innings streak to 18 before allowing both runs to score in the bottom of the fifth.
Tacoma now owns a 2.5 game lead over the second-place Sky Sox in the Pacific Coast League Pacific Northern Division.
The Rainiers (43-30) play the second game of a four-game series at Colorado Springs (39-31) tomorrow, June 19 at 11:35 a.m. Right-hander Brandon Maurer (1-1, 1.53) is slated to make his fourth start for Tacoma in the contest against Sky Sox right-hander Drew Carpenter (1-3, 5.21).
Every Rainiers game throughout the 2013 season can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available for online streaming at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2013 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2013
- Z's Win on Skipworth's Walk-Off Grand Slam in Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skipworth's Slam Sinks RedHawks, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Split Doubleheader in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Allow 16 Hits in 16-4 Loss to the Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hayes' Late Homer Salvages Twin Bill Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Crush Colorado Springs, 16-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Split Twin Bill in Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Triple-A All-Star FanFest Comes to Reno July 14-15 - Reno Aces
- Bees' June 21 Game to Feature Food Challenge with Kobayashi - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks vs. Zephyrs - Game Notes - June 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 19th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kyle Fleming Celebrates Home Run For Life at June 22 RedHawks Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Easley Slams Aces to Walk Off Win - Reno Aces
- Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chris Volstad's Strong Outing Leads Colorado Springs over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Struggling Storm Chasers Fall to Topes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Opening Night Tickets on Sale Wednesday
- Sounders FC and Tacoma Rainiers Announce Immediate Transition of S2
- Sounders FC and Tacoma Rainiers to Make Important Announcement On Wednesday
- FINAL: Las Vegas 7, Tacoma 6
- Late-Inning Runs Sink Rainiers In 7-2 Loss To Bees