Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock
ROUND ROCK, Tex. - The Memphis Redbirds snapped a six-game losing streak with a 9-4 victory over the Round Rock Express on Wednesday night at the Dell Diamond.
Combined with Iowa splitting a doubleheader with Nashville, Memphis's win moved the club back into first place in the PCL American Northern Division by a half game.
The first five players in the Redbirds lineup went a combined 9-for-17 with three home runs, nine RBIs, eight walks, and nine runs scored.
Third baseman Ryan Jackson went 2-for-3 with a pair of walks. Second baseman Kolten Wong singled and walked four times in five plate appearances. His four walks tied a Redbirds single-game record, matching Bryan Anderson's mark from July 19, 2011 vs. Omaha.
Center fielder Oscar Taveras homered and drove in four with a 2-for-5 effort on his 21st birthday. First baseman Brock Peterson homered and drove in two.Designated hitter Chad Huffman went 2-for-3 with a home run, three RBIs, and a pair of walks. Greg Garcia went 0-for-5 to snap his season-best seven-game hitting streak.
Things got out of hand in a hurry as Memphis scored all nine runs over the first two innings. Round Rock starter Scott Richmond began the game by walking Jackson and Wong. Taveras then gave himself a three-run home run for his birthday, which was the slugger's fifth of the season and snapped an 0-for-11 hitless drought. Three pitches later, Peterson followed with his team-leading 16th home run, bringing the slugger into a tie for the PCL lead for homers. It was also the fifth time that Memphis has hit back-to-back jacks this season, and second occurrence involving Peterson.
The Redbirds batted around again and scored five more runs in the next inning against Richmond, who failed to record an out before being removed from the game. With Jackson and Wong aboard for a second consecutive time, Taveras sent an RBI single up the middle for the first run. Peterson followed with another RBI single. Next batter Chad Huffman then crushed a three run home run to center to conclude the Redbirds' scoring. The blast was Huffman's seventh.
Round Rock scored single runs in the first two innings before Rangers prospect Mike Olt hit a tape-measure home run to center in the fourth. The two-run homer was Olt's seventh of the season.
In his first start since June 2, Nick Additon (5-2) gave up four runs on eight hits (one homer) in five innings for the victory. He didn't strikeout a batter and walked three.
In his first rehab appearance, Cardinals right-handed reliever Fernando Salas threw a scoreless inning with 20 pitches (14 for strikes). He struck out Jared Hoying looking, induced an infield groundout to shortstop, and struck out Leury Garcia swinging.
Sam Freeman worked around two hits for two shutout frames to extend his consecutive scoreless streak to 15.1 innings, the longest by a reliever this season. Mitchell Boggs worked a perfect ninth to end the game.
Richmond (2-2) was tattooed for nine runs on eight hits and three home runs in one-plus innings.
The Redbirds and Express continue their series at 7:05 pm CT on Thursday night. Memphis' scheduled starter has yet to be announced. Round Rock will start left-hander Ryan Feierabend (4-2, 4.31).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2013
- Z's Win on Skipworth's Walk-Off Grand Slam in Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skipworth's Slam Sinks RedHawks, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Split Doubleheader in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Allow 16 Hits in 16-4 Loss to the Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hayes' Late Homer Salvages Twin Bill Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Crush Colorado Springs, 16-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Split Twin Bill in Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Triple-A All-Star FanFest Comes to Reno July 14-15 - Reno Aces
- Bees' June 21 Game to Feature Food Challenge with Kobayashi - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks vs. Zephyrs - Game Notes - June 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 19th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kyle Fleming Celebrates Home Run For Life at June 22 RedHawks Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Easley Slams Aces to Walk Off Win - Reno Aces
- Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chris Volstad's Strong Outing Leads Colorado Springs over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Struggling Storm Chasers Fall to Topes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds Announce 2019 Schedule
- Redbirds Manager Stubby Clapp Named Cardinals First Base Coach
- Redbirds Set to Embark on Sell901 Trophy Tour
- Triple-A National Champions: Memphis Wins First National Title
- Redbirds, Aldo's Pizza Pies Downtown Hosting Triple-A National Championship Game Watch Party Tomorrow Night