Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2
ROUND ROCK, Texas - After clinging to a one-run lead through the seventh, the Round Rock Express (41-32) erupted for six runs in the eighth to give the E-Train a 9-2 victory over the Memphis Redbirds (35-38) Tuesday night at Dell Diamond.
After falling behind by two runs early, the Express battled back and needed just two innings of offense to score nine runs and pick up a victory in the series opener.
The Redbirds plated the first two runs of the game off right-hander Evan Meek in the second inning to start the scoring. After a leadoff single by first baseman Brock Peterson, shortstop Greg Garcia tripled two batters later to knock in the first run of the game. Third baseman Jermaine Curtis added a RBI single as the Express fell behind 2-0 half way through the second frame.
Memphis starter Michael Wacha blanked Round Rock through the first four innings. The E-Train offense awoke in the fifth when catcher Eli Whiteside singled in Jared Hoying after the right fielder tripled to begin the frame. Trailing by one, shortstop Leury Garcia put the Express on top with a two-run shot to right field, his first of the season as Round Rock grabbed a 3-2 lead entering the sixth.
Meek settled in after giving up the two-spot in the second and held Memphis scoreless over the next four innings before he exited with a one-run lead after 6.0 innings of work.
Reliever Jake Brigham was spotless, allowing just one hit over the final three frames while striking out five in his seventh relief appearance of the season.
Round Rock opened the game up in the eighth, plating six runs on five hits to take a 9-2 lead. After third baseman Mike Olt drew a leadoff walk, designated hitter Aaron Cunningham singled on a ground ball to shortstop but Garcia's throw sailed into right field, putting runners on second and third. Center fielder Jim Adduci brought both runners across the plate on a two-run single, giving the Express a 5-2 lead. The offense wasn't finished as Hoying followed with his second extra-base hit of the night, a RBI double to bump the E-Train lead to 6-2. Round Rock added three more runs before the inning came to a close, using a two-run double off the bat of first baseman Mike Bianucci and another RBI double from left fielder Joey Butler to extend the advantage to seven runs entering the final frame.
After Brigham retired the Redbirds in order in the eighth and ninth for his first save, Meek secured his first victory of the season, improving his record to 1-3. Wacha suffered the loss, his first of the year which dropped him to 4-1.
The Express continues its homestand against the Redbirds Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Round Rock right-hander Scott Richmond (1-1, 5.84 ERA) will toe the rubber for the E-Train. Wednesday night will also be Winning Wednesday at Dell Diamond, presented by the Texas Lottery featuring game show style promotions throughout the night hosted by Ballpark Rob Barker. For more information on the Express, visit www.RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2013
- Z's Win on Skipworth's Walk-Off Grand Slam in Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skipworth's Slam Sinks RedHawks, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Snap Six-Game Losing Skid with 9-4 Win in Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Split Doubleheader in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Allow 16 Hits in 16-4 Loss to the Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hayes' Late Homer Salvages Twin Bill Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Crush Colorado Springs, 16-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Split Twin Bill in Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Triple-A All-Star FanFest Comes to Reno July 14-15 - Reno Aces
- Bees' June 21 Game to Feature Food Challenge with Kobayashi - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks vs. Zephyrs - Game Notes - June 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 19th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kyle Fleming Celebrates Home Run For Life at June 22 RedHawks Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Easley Slams Aces to Walk Off Win - Reno Aces
- Anna's Triple Lifts Tucson to 5-2 Victory - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Blanked by Bees, 10-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chris Volstad's Strong Outing Leads Colorado Springs over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Struggling Storm Chasers Fall to Topes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Opener At Colorado Springs, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Blows out Redbirds in Series Opener 9-2 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Announce Enhanced Fan Safety Features
- Round Rock Express Reveal Chupacabras Branding for MiLB Co Pa De La Diversion
- Round Rock Express Announce Change to 2018 Coaching Staff
- Opening Weekend Festivities Take over Dell Diamond
- Round Rock Express Announce Entire 2018 Promotional Schedule