Reiter Lifts Sound Tigers to 1-0 Shutout Victory
GLENS FALLS, N.Y. (Dec. 4, 2013) - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers shut out the Adirondack Phantoms by a score of 1-0 at the Glen Falls Civic Center Wednesday night. Kenny Reiter made 34 saves and Anders Lee had the lone goal of the contest. With the win, the Sound Tigers have won two straight and improve to 7-10-1-3 on the season.
The Sound Tigers picked up the only goal of the game in the second period, on Lee's team-leading eighth of the season. Ryan Strome took a shot from the right circle that was stopped by Phantoms goaltender Cal Heeter, but Heeter kicked the rebound back out front. Lee was waiting at the bottom of the left circle, and powered home the rebound to give the Sound Tigers a 1-0 lead that they would hold the rest of the game. Strome's assist also gave him points in seven straight games.
Back in the first period, the Sound Tigers played the opening 20 minutes with plenty of jump. They outshot the Phantoms 12-8 and also collected a pair of power-play opportunities. The Sound Tigers had th majority of scoring chances but were not able to beat Heeter in the first.
Reiter had a very strong second period, one in which the Sound Tigers were outshot by a margin of 17-7. The Pittsburgh native was tested from all angles, but was up to the task each time. Lee's goal came at 12:02 of the second period, and though it came just as the first of four straight Phantoms power plays came to an end, Adirondack was unable to tie the score. The Sound Tigers penalty kill was successful on all six attempts Wednesday.
Adirondack opted for the extra attacker with just less than 1:30 remaining in regulation. After both teams used their timeouts in the final minute, the Phantoms had the puck in the Sound Tigers zone as the final seconds ticked down. As a scramble in front ensued with five seconds left, a shot from in close rang off the post and stayed out. Though the officials looked at the replay, it remained no goal and the Sound Tigers came away with the victory.
The Sound Tigers will play in Utica against the Comets Friday night before returning home for Military Appreciation/Teddy Bear Toss Night Saturday against the Hershey Bears. The opening faceoff at Webster Bank Arena will be at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2013
- Heeter Terrific Again But Phantoms Fall Short - Adirondack Phantoms
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 5-4 in a Shootout - Iowa Wild
- McNabb, Porter Pace Amerks in 6-1 Rout of Comets - Rochester Americans
- Comets Run into Roadblock at Rochester - Utica Comets
- Reiter Lifts Sound Tigers to 1-0 Shutout Victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Soar Past Falcons - Albany Devils
- Falcons Point Streak Halted in Loss at Albany - Springfield Falcons
- Lightning Recall Taormina from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Pirates Announce Youth Hockey Clinic Dates - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Announce this Weekend's Promotional Nights - Binghamton Senators
- Gameday: Comets at Rochester - Utica Comets
- Grant Fuhr to Appear on Friday, December 27th - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Blackhawks Announce Roster Moves - Rockford IceHogs
- Ice Caps and Purolator Reunite to Shut out Hunger - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals, Brewers Present Two-Man Advantage - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Recall Gudlevskis from Florida Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- McKenna Recalled by Columbus; Chaput, Cleente Returned to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - December Homestand - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- NCAA 2023 Division I Men's Hockey Regionals Coming to City of Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena
- Czarnik and Hutton Agree to Two-Year Deals
- Former Sound Tigers Pushed New York Islanders to Deep Playoff Run
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Host Free Virtual Youth Hockey Coaching Clinic
- Sound Tigers Hit Long Island for NHL's Return to Play