Comets Run into Roadblock at Rochester
The Rochester Americans halted the Comets road winning streak at five games with a 6-1 victory Wednesday night, at the Blue Cross Arena.
Benn Ferriero had the lone goal for the Comets, as Joe Cannata took the loss in net. Yannick Weber extended his point streak to five games with the assist.
Brayden McNabb (1-2-3) paced the Amerks with a three point night. Kyle Porter (2-0-2), Phil Varrone (0-2-2), and Jamie Tardiff (0-2-2) had two points apiece, as well. Matt Hackett made 25 saves on his way to his fifth win of the season.
Despite being outshot 11 to 4 in the first period, the Amerks struck first 11:40 into the game. Brayden McNabb, hours after being added to the Amerks roster, beat Cannata high glove side from the slot after Mike Zigomanis fed McNabb the pass from behind the net. Matt MacKenzie picked up the secondary assist. The goal was the Amerks first goal against the Comets in 118:41.
The score remained 1-0 Amerks lead until 7:39 into the second period. A foot race between Yann Sauve and Kevin Porter, to the stick side of Cannata, resulted in Porter winning the race to the puck. A shot from the face-off dot beat Cannata to the glove side, to give the Amerks a 2-0 lead. Nick Crawford picked up an assist on the goal.
A little over two minutes later Porter added his second goal of the night, and fifth goal of the season, to stretch the Amerks lead to 3-0. Joel Armia put a pass into the skates of Porter, who kicked the puck to his backhand, and beat a sprawled out Cannata. Brayden McNabb picked up his second point of the night with the secondary assist.
The Amerks 3rd goal chased Cannata from the Comets net, as Joacim Eriksson took over in net.
The Comets broke-up Hackett's shutout bid with 42 seconds to play in the second period. The Comets used up all of 10 seconds of the power play before Ferriero ripped a one-timer from the top of the circle past Hackett. Cal O'Reilly and Yannick Weber picked up assists on the goal.
The Amerks extinguished any hopes of a Comets comeback with a goal just 10 seconds into the final period. Kevin Sundher kicked a bouncing puck to his stick, and beat Eriksson for the Amerks fourth goal of the game. Matt Ellis and Jamie Tardif picked up the assists.
Just a minute and a half later the Amerks would capitalize on a 5-on-3 power play opportunity. A Chad Ruhwedel blast from the point deflected off of Eriksson, off of Huskins' shoulder, and into the back of the net. Phil Varone and Tardif picked up assists on the goal.
The Amerks were not done there, as 30 second later Nick Crawford scored his first goal of the season. Phil Varrone set up the play with a cross ice pass to Crawford, who would not be denied. McNabb picked up his third point of the night with the secondary assist.
The Comets are back in action Friday night at The AUD as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers head to Utica for their only trip to the Mohawk Valley this season. Fans can help the Comets 'Stuff the Bus' by bringing an unwrapped toy to the game. Fans that bring an unwrapped toy will be able to buy a $12 ticket to the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2013
- Heeter Terrific Again But Phantoms Fall Short - Adirondack Phantoms
- Iowa Defeats San Antonio 5-4 in a Shootout - Iowa Wild
- McNabb, Porter Pace Amerks in 6-1 Rout of Comets - Rochester Americans
- Comets Run into Roadblock at Rochester - Utica Comets
- Reiter Lifts Sound Tigers to 1-0 Shutout Victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Soar Past Falcons - Albany Devils
- Falcons Point Streak Halted in Loss at Albany - Springfield Falcons
- Lightning Recall Taormina from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Pirates Announce Youth Hockey Clinic Dates - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Announce this Weekend's Promotional Nights - Binghamton Senators
- Gameday: Comets at Rochester - Utica Comets
- Grant Fuhr to Appear on Friday, December 27th - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Blackhawks Announce Roster Moves - Rockford IceHogs
- Ice Caps and Purolator Reunite to Shut out Hunger - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals, Brewers Present Two-Man Advantage - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Recall Gudlevskis from Florida Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- McKenna Recalled by Columbus; Chaput, Cleente Returned to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - December Homestand - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Canucks Sign Center Jayce Hawryluk to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Canucks Sign Goaltender Jake Kielly to a One-Year, Two Way Contract
- Adirondack Bank Center Selected to Host D-III Men's Hockey Championship
- Canucks Sign Ashton Sautner
- Boucher, Rafferty Earn League Honors