Red Claws' Rally Falls Short in OT
Portland, ME - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, erased a 15-point deficit, only to fall to Capital City in overtime, 105-104 in a thrilling game at the Portland Expo.
Maine (7-15) was led by Vitto Brown with 25 points and 11 rebounds, including 7 made three-pointers. Boston Celtics Two-Way Player P.J. Dozier added 22 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists. Archie Goodwin, making his Red Claws debut, finished with 18 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists. Andrew White scored 17 points in the loss.
Capital City (9-9) was led by Washington Wizards Two-Way Player Jordan McRae with 32 points, and fellow Two-Way Player Devin Robinson added 25 points in the win.
Jordan McRae started the scoring by beating the shot clock on the Go-Go's first possession. Brown followed that up with a three the other way. Brown's thunderous dunk put Maine up 3. Dozier's driving lay-up made it 16-12 Claws, but McRae answered with a tough fadeaway. Brown buried two straight threes to continue his hot start. Capital City answered shot for shot, and Maine held just a 31-30 lead after 1. Brown led all scorers with 11 points, while McRae had 10 for the Go-Go.
In the 2nd, Maine started the quarter on an 11-4 run to open a 42-34 lead. Archie Goodwin, playing in his first Red Claws game, scored a three-point play for his first Claw points, putting Maine up 11. Washington Wizards Two-Way Player Devin Robinson followed that up with a three-point play of his own. Goodwin's dunk stopped a 7-0 Capital City run. Brown buried another three late in the quarter, but McRae did the same thing on the other end. When the dust settled on the half, Maine held a 54-52 lead. Both teams shot just over 45% from the floor, with Brown and McRae each scoring 17 in the half.
Noah Allen opened the 3rd with a three pointer to put Capital City up 3. Bibbs answered with a three of his own. Lavoy Allen's put-back slam put the Go-Go up, and Robinson's lay-up made it 63-57 Go-Go. Allen's three-point play put the Go-Go up 8. When Kellen Dunham knocked in a three, Capital City opened on a 23-9 run to take a 77-63 lead. Brown knocked in a trey to stop the bleeding. Goodwin made a lay-up late in the quarter, but Maine trailed 83-70 after getting out-scored 29-16 in the period.
In the 4th, Dozier got the crowd back into the game with a four-point play. Goodwin followed that up to cut it to 83-78. Goodwin's three point game cut it to four points. Andrew White buried a three to made it 89-85 with 5:00 to go. Goodwin buried a three to get it to 90-88. White's three tied the game at 91 with 3:55 to go - with Maine on a 21-8 run to open the period. Dozier's three-point play gave Maine a 95-93 lead. McRae tied the game with a reverse lay-in with 2:00 to go. Dozier's contested three put Maine up 1 with :51.9 left. Robinson's put-back put Capital City up 1 with :38.7 to go. Goodwin's put back put Maine back up 1 with :22.8 to go. With the game tied, Goodwin's shot missed, sending the game to overtime tied at 101.
In OT, Chris Chiozza's lay-up put the Go-Go up 2. Dozier's three-point play was overturned on a coach's challenge, fouling Dozier out of the game. Capital City hit huge free throws down the stretch, and sealed the victory after Maine turned it over.
Maine wound up shooting 40.9% (36-88) from the floor, 34.7% (17-49) from three-point range, and 15-18 from the free throw line. Capital City shot 39% (39-100), 27.6% (8-29) from deep, and 19-27 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action Saturday at Grand Rapids. Maine returns home next Thursday against Long Island. Tickets are on sale now by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2019
- Vipers End Warriors Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 97-89 to Rio Grande Valley Vipers Despite Big Third Quarter Run - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Unable to Stop Streaking Stockton Kings - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Star Wars Night Thursday, January 10 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Prescott Valley Event Center to be Renamed The Findlay Toyota Center - Northern Arizona Suns
- Courtney Alexander Named Assistant Coach for Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- YES Network Premieres "Homegrown: the Bridge to Brooklyn" Long Island Nets Doc-Series Saturday - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs to Hold Martin Luther King Jr. Day Essay-Writing Contest - Austin Spurs
- NBA Veteran Archie Goodwin Joins Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Hustle Return Home After Long Absence; Stokes Set to Debut - Memphis Hustle
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Clippers Cruise to Victory over Suns - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Cold Suns Heat up Too Late in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.