Clippers Cruise to Victory over Suns
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (11-9) cruised their way to a 110-93 victory over the Northern Arizona Suns (3-21) on Wednesday for their second win in two nights.
Clippers forward Anthony Bennett led all scorers with 25 points, knocking down five three pointers, and falling one rebound shy of a double-double.
The Clippers were in command the entire way, trailing only early in the first quarter. They took control of the lead at the 6:49 mark thanks to a Jerome Robinson three pointer and went full steam ahead, taking a 19 point advantage into halftime. Agua Caliente played their best defensive half of basketball this season, holding the Suns to 37 points on 24.5 percent shooting, both season lows for any half by an opponent.
Clippers bigs Johnathan Motley and Angel Delgado each recorded double-doubles and led the defensive effort with a combined seven blocked shots. Motley scored 14 points and pulled down 10 boards while Delgado added a 13 point, 14 rebound performance.
The Suns would not go down without a fight, catching fire midway through the second half. After Agua Caliente took an 80-54 lead, their largest of the night, Northern Arizona got hot and went on a 22-3 run, cutting the deficit to seven. That would be as close as they get, as Bennett scored 11 points in the final 3:23 to seal the game for the Clippers.
Forward Hollis Thompson led the way for the Suns, scoring 19 points and grabbing four rebounds. Aaron Epps paced the bench with 16 points, eight rebounds, and two steals.
The Clippers return to action on Friday, looking to remain undefeated in 2019. They will host the Oklahoma City Blue for their third and final matchup this season. Tip off is at 7 p.m. (PST) at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2019
- Vipers End Warriors Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 97-89 to Rio Grande Valley Vipers Despite Big Third Quarter Run - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Unable to Stop Streaking Stockton Kings - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Star Wars Night Thursday, January 10 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Prescott Valley Event Center to be Renamed The Findlay Toyota Center - Northern Arizona Suns
- Courtney Alexander Named Assistant Coach for Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- YES Network Premieres "Homegrown: the Bridge to Brooklyn" Long Island Nets Doc-Series Saturday - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs to Hold Martin Luther King Jr. Day Essay-Writing Contest - Austin Spurs
- NBA Veteran Archie Goodwin Joins Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Hustle Return Home After Long Absence; Stokes Set to Debut - Memphis Hustle
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Clippers Cruise to Victory over Suns - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Cold Suns Heat up Too Late in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Agua Caliente Clippers Stories
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends
- Rodriguez's Huge Dunk Overshadowed by Late Loss to Kings
- AC Clippers Celebrate Read Across America Day with Lehigh Elementary