Hustle Unable to Stop Streaking Stockton Kings
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle lost its second straight game to the Stockton Kings Thursday night by a 103-100 score at Landers Center. Stockton has won its last seven games and improved to 12-7 overall. The Hustle have lost just three of its last 11 games, the last two coming against Stockton, and are now 13-9 on the season.
In an extremely tight fourth quarter, Tarik Phillip put the Hustle ahead 97-95 with 3:45 remaining. However, the Kings would hold Memphis scoreless the rest of the way until a three-pointer at the buzzer by Tyler Harvey to earn the win on the road.
The first quarter began to look like a repeat of Saturday night's loss to Stockton on the road when the Kings went on an early 14-2 run to take a 20-10 lead with 6:37 to go in the first. However, Memphis chipped away and trailed just 31-28 at the end of the opening frame despite shooting 61.9 percent (13-21 FG) from the field. Memphis was unable to keep the momentum going in the second quarter, shooting just 21.7 percent (5-23 FG) from the floor and trailing 58-51 at halftime. The Hustle stayed within striking distance by knocking all 12 of its free throw attempts in the period.
The Hustle began the second half on a 9-0 run to retake the lead at 60-58, but Stockton quickly regained a lead of their own and neither team led by more than five the rest of the third quarter.
Tyler Harvey led the Hustle effort with a productive performance of 20 points, eight boards and seven assists on 7-of-13 shooting. Ivan Rabb rejoined the team on assignment earlier in the day and put up 19 points and seven boards. Kyle Casey (14 points), Dusty Hannahs (13 points) and Tarik Phillip (12 points) all reached double figures. Hannahs has now scored 10-or-more in 16 straight games. Yuta Watanabe had a team-high 10 rebounds to go with seven points.
Kalin Lucas led the Kings with team highs in points (21) and assists (6), including the team's final six points of the game. Reggie Hearn scored all 20 of his points in the first half and finished 6-of-9 from three-point range. Wenyen Gabriel (14 points, 14 rebounds) posted an impressive double-double off the bench. Matt Jones and Anthony Walker each chipped in with 10 points.
The Hustle will hit the road yet again to take on the Austin Spurs for the third time this season this Saturday, January 5 at noon. The team returns to Landers Center on Monday, January 7 at 7 p.m. to take on the Canton Charge. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2019
- Vipers End Warriors Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 97-89 to Rio Grande Valley Vipers Despite Big Third Quarter Run - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Unable to Stop Streaking Stockton Kings - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Star Wars Night Thursday, January 10 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Prescott Valley Event Center to be Renamed The Findlay Toyota Center - Northern Arizona Suns
- Courtney Alexander Named Assistant Coach for Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- YES Network Premieres "Homegrown: the Bridge to Brooklyn" Long Island Nets Doc-Series Saturday - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs to Hold Martin Luther King Jr. Day Essay-Writing Contest - Austin Spurs
- NBA Veteran Archie Goodwin Joins Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Hustle Return Home After Long Absence; Stokes Set to Debut - Memphis Hustle
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Clippers Cruise to Victory over Suns - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Cold Suns Heat up Too Late in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Guard Tarik Phillip Signs with Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals