Hustle Return Home After Long Absence; Stokes Set to Debut
The Memphis Hustle haven't played a home game in over three weeks. That all changes Thursday night as the Hustle take on the Stockton Kings at 7 p.m. and on Monday night against the Canton Charge at 7 p.m. In between, the team travels to Austin to take on the Spurs Saturday night.
Memphis will look to continue its recent success, having won eight of its last 10 games and four of six on the team's three-week stint away from home.
Thursday's game will mark the debut of new two-way player and Southwind High School alum Jarnell Stokes. The Grizzlies signed Stokes to its open two-way spot on New Year's Day and are adding a former NBA G League MVP to its roster. Stokes, along with new teammate Tyler Harvey was named to the MGM Resorts NBA G League All-Winter Showcase First Team, averaging 23.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks for the Sioux Falls Skyforce.
The Hustle will look to exact revenge on fellow Western Conference contenders the Stockton Kings (11-7). Saturday night, the Kings, led by former Memphis Grizzlies forward Troy Williams, ended the Hustle's four-game winning streak with a 103-94 result at Stockton Arena. Williams had a monster night with 25 points and 15 boards.
The Hustle will then take on the Spurs for the third time this season after winning each of the two previous matchups and the last four overall. In the team's second game at Landers Center this season, Memphis routed the Spurs 132-86 for the largest victory in team history. Austin is also in contention for a playoff spot, sporting a 12-9 record.
On Monday night, the Hustle will face an Eastern Conference opponent for the sixth time this season against the Charge. Memphis has been spectacular against Eastern Conference competition this season, winning all five games and averaging 119.6 points per game. Former Grizzlies two-way player Kobi Simmons, who played in 26 games for the Hustle last season, is averaging 16.0 points, 3.7 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for Canton.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2019
- Vipers End Warriors Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 97-89 to Rio Grande Valley Vipers Despite Big Third Quarter Run - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Unable to Stop Streaking Stockton Kings - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Star Wars Night Thursday, January 10 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Prescott Valley Event Center to be Renamed The Findlay Toyota Center - Northern Arizona Suns
- Courtney Alexander Named Assistant Coach for Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- YES Network Premieres "Homegrown: the Bridge to Brooklyn" Long Island Nets Doc-Series Saturday - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs to Hold Martin Luther King Jr. Day Essay-Writing Contest - Austin Spurs
- NBA Veteran Archie Goodwin Joins Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Hustle Return Home After Long Absence; Stokes Set to Debut - Memphis Hustle
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Clippers Cruise to Victory over Suns - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Cold Suns Heat up Too Late in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at Levitt Shell this Friday, September 20
- Memphis Hustle to Hold Open Tryout Session at Christian Brothers University this Saturday, September 21
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Matt Mooney
- Memphis Hustle to Hold Open Tryout Sessions in Memphis and Southaven
- Memphis Hustle Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule