Red Claws Offense Stymied in Delaware
Wilmington, DE - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, struggled to score in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, resulting in a blowout loss to the Delaware Blue Coats, 113-92.
Maine (28-14) has lost 3 in a row for the first time this season. The Red Claws were led by Yante Maten, who finished with 23 points and 12 rebounds. Justin Bibbs added 17 points, while Kaiser Gates scored 13. Tacko Fall recorded his 18th double-double of the season with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
Delaware (22-21) was led by Marial Shayok and Jared Brownridge, who each scored 24 points. Xavier Munford added 15 off the bench, while Philadelphia 76ers assignee Novel Pelle added 12 points. Fellow Sixers assignee Zhaire Smith scored 10 in the win.
Brown buried an early three to put the Claws up 5. Both teams started shooting well, and Shayok's bucket put Delaware up 12-11. The Blue Coats made their first 5 shots, but the Claws, fueled by Maten, hung right with them Maten scored 9 of Maine's first 16 points. Gates hit a deep three to put Maine up 21-14. The Red Claws continued to be red-hot from downtown. Still, the Blue Coats hung around, and Xavier Munford's three cut it to 28-27. Fall dropped in a pair of buckets late in the period, and Maine and Delaware were tied 32-32 after 1.
In the 2nd, Shayok's three-point play put Delaware up 39-38. The offenses slowed down in the 2nd, with Brownridge burying a three followed by a Munford lay-up to put the Blue Coats up 44-40. Maten stopped the 8-0 run with a reverse lay-up. In an uneventful quarter for Maine, the Red Claws were ouit-scored 21-12 in the 2nd, and Delaware led 53-44 at halftime. Maine shot 41% (18-44) from the floor in the first half, and just 27% (4-15) from three-point range.
Shayok continued his hot shooting with a three to put Delaware up 10. Off a turnover, Zhaire Smith's alley-oop dunk put the Coats up 62-50. Maine scored 5 straight points to get back in the game. Brownridge and Shayok continued to pour it on, as the Red Claws continued to struggle to score. Delaware's lead swelled to 23, and the Blue Coats led 84-63 after 3. Delaware out-scored Maine 31-19 in the period.
Brown opened the 4th with a three. Smith rattled in a three to silence the Red Claws. Delaware's lead swelled to as many as 34 points. Tacko scored some late baskets as Maine closed on a mini-run, but it was too little, too late. Maine wound up shooting 39% (36-93) from the floor, 27% (8-30) from three-point range, and 8-13 from the free throw line. Delaware shot 45% (37-82) from the field, 42% (15-36) from downtown, and 12-15 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action Friday against Raptors 905 at the Portland Expo.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 11, 2020
- Mad Ants Top Drive Once Again - Grand Rapids Drive
- Drive Comeback Falls Short against Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Iowa Over-Powers Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Canton Charge to Play Remaining Home Games without Fans in Attendance - Canton Charge
- Warriors to Play Upcoming Games without Fans in Attendance - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Coats Coast Past Red Claws in Midweek Matinee - Delaware Blue Coats
- Jusuf Nurkic Assigned to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Go-Go Add Jordan Bell - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Offense Stymied in Delaware - Maine Celtics
- South Bay Falls in Road Meeting with Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Charge Clinch Playoff Return - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Celtics Stories
- Maine Celtics, Gifford's Ice Cream Announce Partnership
- Maine Celtics Partner with TD Bank to Fight Food Insecurity in Maine
- Maine Red Claws Renamed Maine Celtics
- Red Claws President Dajuan Eubanks Named 2019-20 NBA G League Team Executive of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws