Blue Coats Coast Past Red Claws in Midweek Matinee
WILMINGTON - The Delaware Blue Coats (22-21), the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, defeated the Maine Red Claws (28-14), 113-92, on Wednesday afternoon at 76ers Fieldhouse. The Blue Coats swiped 15 steals and held the Red Claws to a season-low 92 points, including just 12 points in the second quarter.
76ers two-way contract player Marial Shayok scored 26 points (9-15 fg, 3-6 3fg, 3-3 ft) for the second-consecutive contest, adding seven rebounds and three steals in 24 minutes for the Blue Coats. Delaware's Jared Brownridge was a game-high plus-38 in tallying 26 points (8-13 fg, 4-9 3fg, 2-2 ft), four assists and a career-high four steals in 23 minutes of action.
Norvel Pelle, on assignment from the 76ers, nearly registered a double-double with 12 points (5-7 fg, 1-2 ft), eight rebounds and three blocked shots in 21 minutes for the Blue Coats. Zhaire Smith, also on assignment from Philadelphia, added 10 points (3-6 fg, 2-3 3fg, 1-1 ft) and a pair of assists in a game-high 37 minutes.
The Blue Coats led 53-44 at halftime and outscored Maine 52-31 in the second and third quarters combined. Delaware, which led by as many as 34 points in the victory, totaled 24 points on the fast break.
Yante Maten paced the Red Claws with a double-double performance of 23 points (9-18 fg, 1-5 3fg, 3-5 ft) and 12 rebounds, adding four steals in 30 minutes of work. Boston Celtics two-way contract player Tacko Fall secured a double-double of his own with 12 points (6-12 fg) and 14 rebounds in 21 minutes off the bench for the Red Claws. Justin Bibbs posted 17 points (8-13 fg, 1-3 3fg) in 33 minutes as a starter for Maine.
The Blue Coats host the Long Island Nets on Saturday at 7 p.m. at 76ers Fieldhouse.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 11, 2020
- Mad Ants Top Drive Once Again - Grand Rapids Drive
- Drive Comeback Falls Short against Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Iowa Over-Powers Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Canton Charge to Play Remaining Home Games without Fans in Attendance - Canton Charge
- Warriors to Play Upcoming Games without Fans in Attendance - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Coats Coast Past Red Claws in Midweek Matinee - Delaware Blue Coats
- Jusuf Nurkic Assigned to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Go-Go Add Jordan Bell - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Offense Stymied in Delaware - Maine Red Claws
- South Bay Falls in Road Meeting with Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Charge Clinch Playoff Return - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- 76ers Fieldhouse to 'Light It Blue' for Illuminate Delaware
- Blue Coats and Blue Rocks Partner on Delaware Together Campaign
- Q&A with Haywood Highsmith: Coat Check Podcast
- Nemours Children's Health System Seeks PPE & Cleaning Supply Donations
- ChristianaCare Seeks Blue Coats Fans' Support in COVID-19 Fight