Mad Ants Top Drive Once Again
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Mad Ants (21-22) topped the Grand Rapids Drive (25-18) for the second time in the last four days by a final score of 111-103. What looked to be a Fort Wayne blowout throughout most of the first three quarters quickly turned into a hard-fought battle that brought the Drive within one possession in the final minutes. The Drive's aggressive defense allowed them to chip away at a 23-point deficit but the Mad Ants sealed the game by converting clutch free-throws.
The Mad Ants had a trio of impressive performances tonight that led to their road win. Walt Lemon Jr. commanded the floor yet again for Fort Wayne, earning the Mad Ants 30 points, 8 assists and 2 steals. Pacers two-way player Brian Bowen II 11 followed up with 28 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. Pacers assignee Alize Johnson earned a double-double, finishing with 11 points,16 rebounds and 2 steals.
Todd Withers was a bright spot for the Drive tonight, tallying up a team-high of 27 points, shooting 10-18 from the field and 7-15 from beyond the three, to go along with 7 rebounds. Dakarai Allen contributed another 17 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals. Big man Adam Woodbury was a force in the paint, earning the Drive 12 rebounds along with 6 points and 3 steals. Devon Baulkman also put up impressive numbers tonight by scoring 14 points in 15 minutes of play, many coming in the fourth quarter to get the Drive back in the contest.
It was another close game for the two Central Division teams, but ultimately the Mad Ants prevailed from converting their shots. The visiting team shot 49% (34-70) from the field and 47% (16-34) from beyond the arc compared to 42% (29-69) from the field and 31% (10-32) from deep for the Drive. Additionally, the Drive ended up on the wrong end of foul calls tonight, going just 50% (5-10) from the charity stripe compared to the Mad Ants having 19 attempts that converted to 68% (13-19).
Both teams will return to action on Saturday, March 14. The Drive, currently fifth in the Eastern Conference, will head to Lakeland, FL to match up with the Magic, the current fourth seed. Fort Wayne will face off with the Go-Go in Washington D.C. Tip-off for both games are set for 7 p.m. EST. Future G League games are pending further action from the NBA League Offices after they suspended the NBA season earlier tonight.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 11, 2020
- Mad Ants Top Drive Once Again - Grand Rapids Drive
- Drive Comeback Falls Short against Mad Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Iowa Over-Powers Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Canton Charge to Play Remaining Home Games without Fans in Attendance - Canton Charge
- Warriors to Play Upcoming Games without Fans in Attendance - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Coats Coast Past Red Claws in Midweek Matinee - Delaware Blue Coats
- Jusuf Nurkic Assigned to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Go-Go Add Jordan Bell - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Offense Stymied in Delaware - Maine Red Claws
- South Bay Falls in Road Meeting with Agua Caliente - South Bay Lakers
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Charge Clinch Playoff Return - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.