Rebels' Isley Notches Third-Period Goal to Defeat Rockets
KELOWNA - After losing three straight games in the third period, the Red Deer Rebels flipped the script Saturday.
Jace Isley's goal at 11:11 of the final frame gave the Rebels a 3-2 WHL win over the Kelowna Rockets in front of 5,212 fans at the Prospera Centre.
"We played a pretty solid game right through . . . 60 minutes right through," said Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter, who watched his team fold in the third period of earlier losses at Victoria, Vancouver and Kamloops.
But not on this night, versus the 2020 Memorial Cup host Rockets.
"We didn't give up a lot five-on-five, we were much better that way tonight," said Sutter. "It was more of a complete game.
"And Byron was good,"
The visitors killed off some early penalties and jumped out to a 2-0 lead after one period.
With the Rebels on the power play, Josh Tarzwell took a drop pass from Arshdeep Bains and beat Basran to the top of net from the left circle at 7:46, and Kyle Masters scored his first ever WHL goal at 18:55 - again on the power play - when his point shot struck Basran, bounced into the air and into the net.
The Rockets pulled even with second period goals from Kaeden Korczak, from the right circle at 9:28, and Pavel Novak on a short-handed two-on-one at 17:40.
But the Rebels buckled down in the third period, outshooting their hosts 11-9 and getting the winning goal in the process.
'"We were solid in the third tonight. We talked about it after two periods, about how we have to step up our game in the third," said Sutter. "We had to find a way to make sure we were on the winning side.
"Tonight we were solid, we played a solid third."
Notable: Tarzwell was selected as the game's first star, followed by (2) Novak and (3) Fancy . . . The Rebels were two-for-seven on the power play, while the Rockets were zero-for-four . . . The Rebels close out their five-game B.C. Division trip Monday with a 3 p.m. (MST) engagement with the Prince George Cougars . . . Red Deer's next home game is next Saturday versus the Tri-City Americans.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2020
- Sunday Loss in Portland to End the Weekend - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Game Day Hub: February 16 - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars Bedeviled by Calgary's Fast Start - Prince George Cougars
- Americans Unable to Overcome Chiefs in Close Battle - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets fall to Rebels - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Fall to Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Rebels' Isley Notches Third-Period Goal to Defeat Rockets - Red Deer Rebels
- Roman's Hat-Trick Lifts the Giants to Their Ninth Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Broncos Drop Entertaining Affair with Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Strike First But Fall 5-2 to Oil Kings - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Make Rogers Place Roar with 5-2 Victory over Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Spokane Secures Season Series in 6-4 Win over Tri-City - Spokane Chiefs
- Everett Bests Portland in Washington - Portland Winterhawks
- Road Trip Begins with 4-2 Win at Prince George - Calgary Hitmen
- Raiders Take Down Wheat Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- ICE Weather the Hurricanes, 5-2. - Winnipeg Ice
- Giants Topple T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Sakowich Cherished His Time in Red Deer Despite Premature End to his Final Season
- Rebels' U.S. Prospects Draft Picks Both Leaning Towards Attending Next Training Camp
- Rebels Select Pair of Minnesota Players in Inaugural U.S. Prospects Draft
- Rebels Take Sawchyn First Overall In U.S. Prospects Draft
- Expectations for 2020-21 Version of Rebels Will be Higher