Ratzlaff Subdues Americans to Earn First Career Win
KENNEWICK, WA - Scott Ratzlaff made his first career start Friday night at the Toyota Center in Kennewick and earned his first career win by making 18 saves to lead the Seattle Thunderbirds to a 5-2 victory over the Tri-City Americans.
Ratzlaff was selected in the second round, 43rd overall, in the 2020 WHL Draft. He signed a Standard WHL Player Agreement with the team on May 1, 2020. He had six saves in the first period, three saves in the second period and nine saves in the third period.
The T-Birds have two games remaining in the 2020-21 season. The next game is Saturday at accesso ShoWare Center against the Everett Silvertips on Saturday at 6:05pm. They host the Spokane Chiefs on Sunday at 5:05pm at accesso ShoWare Center. The game against the Chiefs will be broadcast on JOEtv Cable 22/Channel 110.
Tri-City took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Nick Bowman at 4:16 of the first period.
The Americans went in front 2-0 on a goal by Connor Bouchard at 4:01 of the second period.
Seattle scored three goals in 3:52 of the second to take a 3-2 lead.
Jared Davidson started the comeback at 5:53 of the second. Lucas Ciona passed the puck out of the right corner to Davidson in the right circle. Davidson beat Tri-City goalie Mason Dunford over the glove for his eighth goal of the season. Luke Bateman had the second assist.
Henrik Rybinski tied the game 2-2 1:15 after Davidson's goal. Rybinski won a faceoff in the right circle to Keltie Jeri-Leon who got off a shot. The puck rebounded off Dunsford and went behind the net. Rybinski got the loose puck and attempted at wraparound at the left post that Dunsford stopped. Rybinski banged the rebound past the goalie for his sixth goal of the season.
Rybinski got the T-Birds a 3-2 lead at 9:45 of the second with a shorthanded goal. Ryan Gottfried broke up a cross ice pass and the puck came to Rybinski inside the Seattle blue line. Rybinski broke up ice and made a move around a Americans defenseman in the neutral zone to create a breakaway. Rybinski came in on Dunsford and beat the goalie with a quick snapshot over the glove.
Nico Myatovic added an insurance goal at 17:46 of the third period. Davidson won a faceoff back to Luke Bateman who got a shot off. The puck rebounded to the right of Dunsford where Myatovic got to it. Myatovic lifted the puck over Dunsford as the goalie scrambled to get over.
The Americans pulled Dunsford for an extra attacker late in the third period. Davidson scored an unassisted empty-net goal with 44 seconds left to seal the win.
First period - 1, Seattle, Bowman 4 (Daniel), 4:16. Penalties - Roberts, Tri (interference), 7:01.
Second period - 2, Tri-City, Bouchard 5 (Huo), 4:01. 3, Seattle, Davidson 8 (Ciona, Bateman), 5:53. 4, Seattle, Rybinski 6 (Jeri-Leon), 7:08. 5, Seattle, Rybinski 7 (Gottfried), 9:45 (sh). Penalties - Schaefer, Sea (cross checking), 9:19. Andregg, Tri (cross checking, major-fighting), 16:55. Popowich, Sea (major-fighting), 16:55. Schaefer, Sea (high-sticking), 18:46.
Third period - 6, Seattle, Myatovic 3 (Bateman, Davidson), 17:46. 7, Seattle, Davidson 9, 19:16. Penalties - Sloan, Tri (tripping), 1:32. Rybinski, Sea (misconduct-mouthguard), 13:50. Mutala, Tri (cross checking), 14:41.
Shots on goal - Seattle 15-13-17 45, Tri-City 7-4-9 20. Goalies - Seattle, Ratzlaff 20 shots-18 saves (1-0-0-0); Tri-City, Dunsford 44-40 (0-3-0-0). Power plays - Seattle 0-4; Tri-City 0-2. Referees - Ian Jendro, Erik Freeman. Linesmen - Steve Fleming, Joe Mahon.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Silvertips Defeat T-Birds in Penultimate Game of Season - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Roll over Spokane to Open Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Power Play Struggles as Chiefs Fall to Portland, 5-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Douglas Grew as a Player and Person During Four Plus Years with the Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Western Hockey League Statement on COVID-19 Testing Results - WHL
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Defeated at Home by Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Everett Silvertips Claim 2020-21 WHL U.S. Division Championship Trophy - WHL
- Game Day Hub: May 8 - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Return to the Win Column with a Convincing Win over Rockets - Vancouver Giants
- Ratzlaff Subdues Americans to Earn First Career Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Drop Rockets 6-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Chiefs Drop First Game of Final Weekend, 5-1 at Everett - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Acquire 2 Draft Picks from Giants
- T-Birds Sign Import Draft Selections Alessandro Segafredo and Leon Okonkwo Prada
- T-Birds Select Alessandro Segafredo and Leon Okonkwo Prada in 2021 CHL Import Draft
- T-Birds Announce 2021-22 Schedule
- T-Birds Will Welcome Hockey Fans Back to Accesso ShoWare Center October 9 for 2021-22 Home Opener