Chiefs Drop First Game of Final Weekend, 5-1 at Everett
Everett, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs lost 5-1 in their final head-to-head matchup with the Everett Silvertips on Friday night. Spokane has two games remaining in their 2020-21 schedule.
The Silvertips took a 1-0 lead with under 17 seconds left in the first period as Ethan Regnier got the puck just beyond the goal line inside the right post to beat Spokane goalie Mason Beaupit.
Everett added on to make it 2-0 on a strange goal at 4:12 of the second as rookie Matthew Ng capitalized for his first career WHL goal. The puck was dumped in from the neutral zone and took an unexpected sharp-angle bounce in front.
Spokane got on the board at 6:05 of the middle frame when Luke Toporowski found team captain Eli Zummack in front for a power play goal to cut the deficit in half.
The momentum was short-lived as veteran Silvertips forward Cole Fonstad scored unassisted less than a minute later. Jackson Berezowski added his seventh of the season to make it 4-1 after two periods. Ronan Seeley added another in the third to cap the scoring.
Spokane was outshot 45-15, going 1-for-2 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Chiefs travel south to take on the Portland Winterhawks on Saturday, May 8 with puck drop scheduled for 5 p.m. Chiefs fans can watch that game live WHL Live or listen over the radio waves on Key 101.1 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Silvertips Defeat T-Birds in Penultimate Game of Season - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Roll over Spokane to Open Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Power Play Struggles as Chiefs Fall to Portland, 5-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Douglas Grew as a Player and Person During Four Plus Years with the Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Western Hockey League Statement on COVID-19 Testing Results - WHL
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Defeated at Home by Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Everett Silvertips Claim 2020-21 WHL U.S. Division Championship Trophy - WHL
- Game Day Hub: May 8 - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Return to the Win Column with a Convincing Win over Rockets - Vancouver Giants
- Ratzlaff Subdues Americans to Earn First Career Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Drop Rockets 6-2 - Kelowna Rockets
- Chiefs Drop First Game of Final Weekend, 5-1 at Everett - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Sign German Prospect Yannick Proske to WHL Agreement
- Kraken Preseason Tickets on Sale Friday
- Chiefs Sign Import Pick Tsimafei Kauharenia to WHL Player Agreement
- Seattle Kraken to Play Franchise's First Preseason Game at Spokane Arena
- Chiefs Make Two Picks in 2021 CHL Import Draft