Rampage Stay Perfect with Shutout over Wolves
SAN ANTONIO, TX - Ville Husso made 26 saves to earn his seventh career AHL shutout and Nathan Walker notched two goals, as the San Antonio Rampage (3-0-0) remained undefeated with a 3-0 win over the Chicago Wolves (0-2-0) on Friday night at the AT&T Center.
The Rampage have won three straight games to start a season for the second time in franchise history.
Walker extended his goal-scoring streak to a career-best three games when he opened the scoring with a power play goal at 10:42 of the first period. Executing a slick give-and-go with Klim Kostin in the neutral zone, Walker sprang behind the defense for a breakaway and slid a backhander between the legs of Chicago goaltender Garret Sparks for his third goal of the season and a 1-0 Rampage lead.
Kostin posted two assists in the game.
Derrick Pouliot added to the Rampage lead at 3:25 of the second period with another power play goal, his first marker in a Rampage uniform. Pouliot gloved the puck down at the Chicago blue line before drifting into the high slot and beating Sparks with a rising wrist shot over the blocker to make it 2-0.
San Antonio has scored at least one power play goal in all three games this season. They are 5-for-16 this season with the man advantage, their five goals leading the league.
Walker closed out the scoring at 18:29 of the third period with an empty-net goal for his fourth goal of the season.
Husso is 3-0-0 to start the year, stopping 79 of 82 shots he has faced. The shutout was his sixth with the Rampage, and his first since Opening Day of 2018-19.
The Rampage penalty kill negated six Chicago power plays, including two 5-on-3 advantages that were 1:36 and 54 seconds long, respectively. The Rampage have killed off all 13 shorthanded situations they have faced this season, one of three perfect penalty kills in the Western Conference.
The Rampage finish their season-opening homestand and their two-game set with the Wolves on Saturday night with a 7 p.m. puck-drop at the AT&T Center. The game is available on Ticket 760AM and on AHLTV.
Goals: Walker (3,4); Pouliot (1)
Ville Husso: 26 saves on 26 shots
Power Play: 2-for-6
Penalty Kill: 6-for-6
1) Ville Husso - SA
2) Nathan Walker - SA
3) Klim Kostin - SA
Images from this story
San Antonio Rampage goaltender Ville Husso
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 11, 2019
- Stars Drop Shootout Decision to Wild - Texas Stars
- Grosenick the Difference in Milwaukee's Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Stay Perfect with Shutout over Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Young Talent Shines in 4-1 Victory over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Blanked in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Topple Checkers on the Road - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cormier, Devils Take Down Senators, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks Open Road Trip with 2-1 Win in Springfield - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Raise Cup Banner, Drop Home Opener - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Drop Home-Opener to Devils - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- Grosenick Backstops Admirals to Win in Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Driedger's Spectacular Effort Not Enough for T-Birds against Rochester - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Top Monsters, 2-1, for First Win of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Recall Lyubushkin; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- New Jersey Devils Recall Defenseman Matt Tennyson - Binghamton Devils
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Visit Moose in Cross-Conference Clash - Toronto Marlies
- Chicago Wolves Add Schuldt - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Markus Hannikainen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- STARS Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch and Dunkin' Continue Goals for Charity Program - Syracuse Crunch
- The Rocket Lead the Fight against Cancer - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Assign Beaudoin and Cederholm - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 11 at Springfield Thunderbirds - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers Play Checkers this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 'Hocktoberfest' Returns to Blue Cross Arena October 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 11 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.