Sens Drop Home-Opener to Devils
The Belleville Senators dropped its home-opener Friday night to the Binghamton Devils 2-1.
Marcus Hogberg made 19 saves for the Senators while Morgan Klimchuk scored. Binghamton's Chris Conner and Brett Seney scored as Evan Cormier turned away 37 shots.
It took 3:44 for the Devils to open the scoring as off of a stretch pass by Nathan Bastian, Conner beat Hogberg five-hole on a breakaway for his first of the year.
Their lead was 2-0 at 5:17 as Seney buried Joey Anderson's pass from behind the net after an errant pass in the Sens' defensive zone set the chance up for the visitors.
Heading to the penalty kill, the Senators got a burst scoring their first short-handed goal of the season as Nick Paul chipped the puck down the boards to create a 2-on-0 before centering for Klimchuk whose shot squeaked through Cormier at 10:57.
After a scoreless, that included an outstanding glove save by Hogberg to deny Ben Street on a 5-on-3, the Sens came out flying in the third that saw Batherson denied inside the opening minutes by a blocker save by Cormier after the Sens forward had used a screen to fire off a good scoring opportunity.
Belleville fired 12 shots on Cormier in the frame but couldn't get past the rookie netminder as the Sens dropped to 0-2 on the season.
Belleville and Binghamton will square off again Saturday night at 7pm at CAA Arena. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 11, 2019
- Stars Drop Shootout Decision to Wild - Texas Stars
- Grosenick the Difference in Milwaukee's Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Stay Perfect with Shutout over Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Young Talent Shines in 4-1 Victory over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Blanked in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Topple Checkers on the Road - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cormier, Devils Take Down Senators, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks Open Road Trip with 2-1 Win in Springfield - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Raise Cup Banner, Drop Home Opener - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Drop Home-Opener to Devils - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- Grosenick Backstops Admirals to Win in Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Driedger's Spectacular Effort Not Enough for T-Birds against Rochester - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Top Monsters, 2-1, for First Win of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Recall Lyubushkin; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- New Jersey Devils Recall Defenseman Matt Tennyson - Binghamton Devils
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Visit Moose in Cross-Conference Clash - Toronto Marlies
- Chicago Wolves Add Schuldt - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Markus Hannikainen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- STARS Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch and Dunkin' Continue Goals for Charity Program - Syracuse Crunch
- The Rocket Lead the Fight against Cancer - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Assign Beaudoin and Cederholm - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 11 at Springfield Thunderbirds - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers Play Checkers this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 'Hocktoberfest' Returns to Blue Cross Arena October 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 11 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa Announces Four Re-Signings and Addition of Shaw
- Ottawa Senators Busy at 2020 NHL Draft
- Senators Release Community Impact Report
- Belleville Senators Forward Josh Norris Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- BSens Announce 2019-20 Team Awards