Amerks Open Road Trip with 2-1 Win in Springfield
(Springfield, MA) ... On the heels of a dominating third-period performance where the Rochester Americans (2-0-0-0) outshot the Springfield Thunderbirds (1-2-0-0) 18-5, the Amerks opened the first game of their three-in-three weekend with a 2-1 victory Friday night at the MassMutual Center.
Amerks forward Kevin Porter scored his first goal of the season midway through the second period while Andrew Oglevie tallied his second in as many games, which served as the game-winning goal, helping Rochester to its second straight win of the young campaign. Goaltender Andrew Hammond stopped 20 of 21 shots he faced to improve to 2-0-0.
Second-year forward Sebastian Repo scored the lone Springfield goal as netminder Chris Driedger fell to 1-2-0 on the season despite making 38 saves in the loss.
Entering the final period with the score even at one goal apiece, the Amerks tested the Springfield netminder early and often over the course of the final 20 minutes of play.
Six minutes after Driedger denied C.J Smith and Curtis Lazar's odd-man rush, Oglevie and Porter entered the Thunderbirds zone on a two-on-one chance just under the 9:00 mark. Oglevie received a pass from rookie Jacob Bryson and snapped a shot over the glove of the Springfield netminder to give the Amerks their first lead of the night with 8:53 left in the contest.
With the lone helper, Bryson was credited with his first professional point.
Springfield trailed in the game but did not go away quietly as they earned a power-play in the final three minutes. Despite pulling Driedger for the extra attacker, Rochester hung on for the one-goal win.
As the opening frame was nearing its end, the Amerks were whistled for a late cross-checking penalty at the 18:39 mark and it would prove costly. Springfield capitalized on the ensuing man-advantage as Repo slipped a shot over the left pad of Hammond with only 11 seconds remaining to put the Thunderbirds up 1-0.
Rochester would soon answer, however. After being denied twice in the early stages of the second period, including a breakaway chance, Tage Thompson carried the puck to the right of the Thunderbirds' net and below the goal line. Before circling around the net, Thompson centered a pass to Porter, who picked the upper corner from in-between the face-off dots to even the game with 7:32 left in the period.
The assist gives Thompson 14 points (10+4) over his last 13 games with the Amerks dating back to last season.
Zach Redmond, the reigning Eddie Shore Award winner who has recorded four assists in his last six outings dating back to last season, picked up the secondary helper on the power-play goal. The assist was Redmond's 200th point in the American Hockey League and 100th point as an Amerk.
Oglevie delivered the eventual game-winner at 11:07 of the third period with the teams skating at 4-on-4.
The Amerks continue the road swing through New England as they meet up with the Providence Bruins on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. at the Dunkin' Donuts Center before concluding the weekend at the XL Center with a 3:00 p.m. matinee versus the Harford Wolf Pack. All of the action will be carried live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: Porter (1), Oglevie (2 - GWG)
SPR: Repo (1)
ROC: Hammond - 20/21 (W)
SPR: Driedger - 38/40 (L)
ROC: PP (1/6) | PK (4/5)
SPR: PP (1/5) | PK (5/6)
1. A. Oglevie (ROC)
2. C. Driedger (SPR)
3. T. Thompson (ROC)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 11, 2019
- Stars Drop Shootout Decision to Wild - Texas Stars
- Grosenick the Difference in Milwaukee's Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Stay Perfect with Shutout over Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Young Talent Shines in 4-1 Victory over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Blanked in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Topple Checkers on the Road - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cormier, Devils Take Down Senators, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks Open Road Trip with 2-1 Win in Springfield - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Raise Cup Banner, Drop Home Opener - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Drop Home-Opener to Devils - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- Grosenick Backstops Admirals to Win in Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Driedger's Spectacular Effort Not Enough for T-Birds against Rochester - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Top Monsters, 2-1, for First Win of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Recall Lyubushkin; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- New Jersey Devils Recall Defenseman Matt Tennyson - Binghamton Devils
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Visit Moose in Cross-Conference Clash - Toronto Marlies
- Chicago Wolves Add Schuldt - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Markus Hannikainen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- STARS Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch and Dunkin' Continue Goals for Charity Program - Syracuse Crunch
- The Rocket Lead the Fight against Cancer - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Assign Beaudoin and Cederholm - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 11 at Springfield Thunderbirds - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers Play Checkers this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 'Hocktoberfest' Returns to Blue Cross Arena October 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 11 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.