Rampage Hold on for 4-2 Win over Monsters
CLEVELAND - The AHL's defending Calder Cup Champions, the Cleveland Monsters, proudly powered by Constellation, were defeated by the San Antonio Rampage on Thursday at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena by a final score of 4-2. With the loss, the Monsters fell to 3-3 overall this season and currently sit alone in fourth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
San Antonio grabbed control on Thursday at the tail end of the first period, courtesy of even-strength scores from J.T. Compher at 15:41 and A.J. Greer at 18:02 to make it 2-0 for the visitors. With time winding down in the opening frame, the Monsters cut the Rampage's lead in half at 18:49 when Cody Goloubef tapped a visionary Alex Broadhurst feed into a wide open San Antonio net to make it 2-1 with Daniel Zaar collecting the secondary assist on the play.
The middle stanza's lone goal went to Rampage forward Alex Belzile at 1:45, but Monsters right wing Oliver Bjorkstrand responded in the first minute of the final period to slice the San Antonio lead to 3-2 with a power-play scorcher set up by Nick Moutrey and Goloubef at 0:54. The Rampage were tested down the stretch and weathered a four-on-six disadvantage in the game's final moments to pot a game-sealing empty-netter from Garry Nunn at 19:43 to clinch a 4-2 road victory.
Anton Forsberg fell to 3-2-0 in net for the Monsters despite a strong 27-save performance, while Spencer Martin earned the win for San Antonio thanks to a 25-save showing.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday rematch vs. San Antonio with full coverage, live from Quicken Loans Arena, underway at 7:00 pm on 99X and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Tickets for every Monsters home game start at just $10 and are on sale now! Full and partial season ticket memberships are also available and provide you with the best seat locations, custom member benefits and the lowest ticket prices. Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting ClevelandMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000, visiting The Q Box Office or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/clevelandmonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey .
The Cleveland Monsters are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Majority Owner and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League playing at Quicken Loans Arena and the Canton Charge of the NBA Development League playing in nearby Canton, Ohio at the Canton Civic Center.
Images from this story
Rampage Hold on for 4-2 Win over Monsters
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 27, 2016
- IceHogs Announce Plans for White Sox Fan Appreciation Day - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Hold on for 4-2 Win over Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jack Flinn Joins Ontario Reign - Ontario Reign
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Moose Blomqvist Assigned to Tulsa - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce Second Annual Salute to Heroes Ticket Program - San Diego Gulls
- Canucks Recall Mike Zalewski from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Albany Devils Today -- October 27, 2016 - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Recall Goaltender Scott Greenham from Wichita (ECHL) - Binghamton Senators
- Team Poster Giveaway Among Promotions For Upcoming Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Metrobus Park 'N Ride Service - St. John's IceCaps
- Ottawa Senators Recall Goaltender Chris Driedger - Binghamton Senators
- WILD ANNOUNCES GAELIC STORM CONCERT - Iowa Wild
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls Fall to Stockton Heat - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Monsters Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to One-Year AHL Contract
- Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters Announce Multi-Year Extension of Affiliation Partnership
- Monsters Announce Date and Time Adjustments for the 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Center Marko Dano to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season