Rampage Defeated by Stars, 3-0, in Final Preseason Game
SAN ANTONIO (October 6, 2012) -- In a game that featured plenty of special teams play from both sides, the San Antonio Rampage were defeated by the Texas Stars, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon at Northwoods Ice & Golf Center. The game wrapped up the preseason schedule for both teams.
Stars goalies Cristopher Nilstrop and Jack Campbell teamed up to shutout the Rampage with 17 combined saves. Rampage starter Jacob Markstrom played the full game and made 18 saves on 20 shots.
The loss capped off the Rampage's two-game preseason schedule in preparation for Opening Night against Texas on Oct. 13th at the AT&T Center.
The Stars opened the scoring early into the first period when Luke Gazdic tipped a shot past Markstrom at 1:08 of the first period. The Rampage made four trips to the penalty box in the first period, but were able to kill each penalty.
That streak ended 1:02 into the second period when Mike Heddon scored on the power play. Midway through the second period, Rampage forward Jared Gomes flew through the slot and took two point blank shots, but Campbell was able to turn both aside.
The game turned into a gritty affair starting midway through the second period, as the two teams combined for nine penalties in the middle frame and 10 penalties in the third period.
The Stars iced the game late in the third period when Austin Smith scored into an empty net from the blue line with 55 seconds remaining in the game. The Rampage were also shorthanded for the empty-net tally.
The Rampage finished the game 0-for-4 on the power play, while the Stars were 2-for-9 with the man-advantage.
The Rampage will open the regular season against the Stars on Saturday night at the AT&T Center. Individual game tickets are available now by calling (210)444-5554 or by logging onto sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2012
- Rivermen Wrap up Preseason in Loss to Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Hayes, Kruger, Saad Trio Lift Hogs in Preseason Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Wrap up Preseason with Win at Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Lose to Wolves in Pre-Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Close out Preseason with 4-1 Victory over Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Elkins Scores Twice as Admirals Shut out Checkers in Preseason Opener - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Conclude Pre-Season with 6-3 Win over Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Fall to Bears in Preseason Clash - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Defeat Penguins for First Win of Pre-Season - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Begin Pre-Season with 3-1 Loss to the Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Announce Roster Moves And Player Signing - Abbotsford Heat
- Providence Falls to Springfield - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Open Preseason with 3-1 Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Defeated by Stars, 3-0, in Final Preseason Game - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Shutout San Antonio 3-0 - Texas Stars
- Whale Earn First Preseason Win - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Conclude Preseason Schedule - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Assign Reiter to Fort Wayne - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Make Roster Moves Prior to Final Preseason Game - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rockford Trims Roster by Six - Rockford IceHogs
- VIP Cup Website Launched - Manchester Monarchs
- Mrazek Reassigned to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Texas Stars Trim Training Camp Roster - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Reduce Training Camp Roster by Four - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Trim Roster, Host Bruins in Preseason Finale Tonight - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.