Ramos, Beavers Escape Iowa with Series Win
DES MOINES, Iowa - Cesar Ramos yielded two hits over seven scoreless innings and Sean Kazmar went 2-for-4 with three runs as the Portland Beavers held off a late rally by the Iowa Cubs to win 5-4 Wednesday afternoon and take three of four games in the series at Principal Park.
Ramos (4-5), who did not strike out a single batter over five innings in his win in Omaha on Friday, recorded a season-high seven punchouts and walked just one to give the Beavers (46-73) their third straight win and third series win of the season.
Reliever Mike Koplove surrendered a two-run shot to Marquez Smith in the eighth before Adam Russell converted his eighth save despite issuing three walks and allowing two runs and two hits in the ninth. Up by a run and with one out and the bases loaded, Russell struck out pinch-hitter Matt Camp before inducing a flyout by Sam Fuld to end the game.
Kazmar scored on Wily Mo Peña's two-run double in the first, Mike Baxter's RBI double in the fifth and Aaron Cunningham's RBI single in the seventh, which came after Kazmar laced an RBI double himself. Cedric Hunter was 2-for-5 with a triple and two runs.
Smith finished with three RBIs for the Cubs (67-51).
Jay Jackson (9-7) limited Portland to six hits and no walks over six innings but gave up three runs (2 earned) to end his six-game win streak. Jackson also singled and stole a base.
Hunter and Kazmar led off the first against Jackson with singles and Peña lined a double to left to bring them home.
Hunter and Kazmar greeted Cubs reliever Jeff Gray in the seventh with a triple and a double before Cunningham's two-out RBI single.
Smith's two-run shot to left-center off Koplove spoiled the shutout.
In the ninth, Brad Snyder and Bryan LaHair walked before Ty Wright's RBI single to center. Russell then walked Bobby Scales and struck out Chris Robinson for the first out of the inning. With the bases loaded, Smith popped up to center, but Hunter lost the ball in the sun, and it dropped for an RBI single. Russell recovered to get Camp and Fuld.
After an off day Thursday, the Beavers return to PGE Park Friday to open an eight-game homestand against Albuquerque and Round Rock at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Portland's Kyle Phillips saw his 12-game hitting streak end as he struck out in the eighth inning as a pinch-hitter ... the Beavers were held to nine hits, just their second game on the eight-game road trip that they did not reach double-digits in the hits column.
Beavers Game File WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 5, Cubs 4 WINNING PITCHER: Ramos (4-5) LOSING PITCHER: Jackson (9-7) SAVE: Russell (8) HOME RUNS: Smith (8) THURSDAY'S GAME: Albuquerque (John Ely: 4-2, 6.63) at Portland (Radhames Liz: 7-7, 4.79), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast at www.portlandbeavers.com and Freedom 970 AM. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2010
- Round Rock Express Squander Lead, Finale to Sacramento 13-11 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Take Finale from Bees 7-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Top Bees 7-1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Win Slugfest, 11-8 Over Redbirds - Reno Aces
- Royals Rally to Sweep Rainiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Ramos, Beavers Escape Iowa with Series Win - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Ride Early Lead to 5-4 Win - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds, Player Wives to Host Charity Events This Weekend - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall To Memphis 5-2 - Reno Aces
- High-Scoring Series Continues As Vegas Routs Sounds, 19-8 - Nashville Sounds
- Sox Win on Another Walk-Off, 7-6 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees best Zs 10-5 in Salt Lake - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Salt Lake Bees Win 10-5 Over Zephyrs - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss