RailCats Sign RHP Sanderlin to First Pro Contract
GARY, Ind. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats signed right-handed pitcher Peyton Sanderlin to his first professional baseball contract before game two of Thursday's doubleheader. The right-hander just won a Northwoods Summer Baseball League Championship with the Fond du lac Dock Spiders on Saturday.
A native of Collierville, Tenn., Sanderlin recorded a no-decision in the deciding game of the NWL Championship Series on Saturday, yielding three runs (two earned), on seven hits, no walks and five strikeouts over 5.2 innings. Sanderlin finished 1-0 with a 2.79 ERA in two starts in the postseason and finished 3-0 with a complete game shutout and 1.80 ERA in eight games (five starts) during the regular season with the Dock Spiders. In 35 innings during the regular season, Sanderlin allowed just seven earned runs on 25 hits, seven walks and struck out 23 hitters.
As a redshirt-senior at Christian Brothers University, Sanderlin was named Second Team All-Gulf South Conference (GSC) after going 5-8 with seven complete games (two shutouts) and a 3.39 ERA in 14 games (13 starts). Sanderlin led the Buccaneers with 77 strikeouts in a team-high 101 innings. Sanderlin ranks first in school history in batters faced (1,401) and second all-time in starts (43) and innings pitched (306.1).
Sanderlin went 4-7 with four complete games (one shutout) and a save in a team-high 18 games (15 starts) as a redshirt-junior in 2017. Sanderlin struck out a team-best 74 hitters in a team-high 88.1 innings. As a redshirt-sophomore in 2016, Sanderlin went 2-10 with a 7.75 ERA in a team-high 17 games (11 starts). The right-hander also led the Buccaneers in innings pitched (74.1) and strikeouts (45). Sanderlin redshirted in 2015 after going 2-6 with a 4.64 ERA in 12 games (four starts) as a true freshman.
Gary returned home on Thursday for a doubleheader against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks after the two teams were postponed in Fargo, N.D., back on July 19th. Gary walk-off over Fargo-Moorhead, 4-3, in the bottom of the ninth in game one and look for their fourth doubleheader sweep in game two, which will begin 30 minutes after the completion of game one. Thursday's games feature a Throwback Jersey Auction, presented by Rieth-Riley, and is another Beer and Dog Thursday, presented by Miller Lite & GFS, and a Gerber Collision and Glass Thursday. Beer and Dog Thursday's include $2.50 hot dogs, $1.50 domestic drafts and $3.00 select premium drafts.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 23, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Starting to Get Magical as Pitching Dominates in Fourth Straight Win for Saints, 3-1 over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- 11-1, Ain't That Fun? - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Offense Struggles in Opener vs. Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Double Or Nothing: 'Cats Record Second Doubleheader Sweep of Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Kane Helps Wichita Sneak Past AirHogs - Wichita Wingnuts
- Goldeyes Downed by T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders One-Hit by Robichaux - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sign RHP Sanderlin to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Squints from Sandlot Will Appear at T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sioux City Takes Series Finale from RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Take Series vs. Cleburne with Dramatic Finale Win - Texas AirHogs
- Garrett Homers Again, But Birds Drop Finale to Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season