RailCats Ink 26-Year-Old Right-Hander Morell
?GARY, IND. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats announced the signing of Eric Morell on Friday. The right-handed pitcher is active for tonight's game and getting the start on the hill in the first game of a weekend series vs the Sioux Falls Canaries.
Morell signed his first professional baseball contract with the Tucson Saguaros of the PECOS League in 2017. In his first year with the club he made 10 starts, including a complete game shutout, and finished with a record of 7-0 and a 4.09 ERA. From 6/24 to 7/18 he made five straight quality starts and recorded a total of eight quality starts on the season.
The righty returned to the Saguaros for the 2018 campaign, a season that saw his ERA climb to 5.17 in 11 appearances (nine starts). Despite the down year in terms of his ERA, Morell finished the season with a record of 3-2 and managed to consistently make it deep into games, lasting at least six innings in each of his first five starts.
Morell started his collegiate career at Mt. San Antonio College, where he was named Second Team All-South Coast Conference as a sophomore. After his second year with the Mounties he transferred to LaGrange College for his junior and senior year.
In his first season with LaGrange he tossed a no-hitter, throwing 122 pitches and striking out the side to end the game. Then as a senior Morell was named a First Team USA South All-Conference selection after going 8-2 on the season with a 3.45 ERA in 11 starts.
Gary continues their six-game homestand on Friday against the Sioux Falls Canaries at 7:10 p.m. Morell (0-0, 0.00) opposes 2018 RailCat Keaton Steele (0-1, 3.00) in the series opener.
Friday's game is the first Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday of the season and Valparaiso Community Night, also presented by Fifth Third Bank.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 24, 2019
- Westphal Untouchable as Dogs Open Series vs. Milwaukee with Win - Chicago Dogs
- Offense Remembers the First, Belzer Gets His First as Saints Take Down X's 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Lopsided First Inning Downs X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Rain Follows T-Bones to Canada - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Home Opener Postponed, Double Header Saturday - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Big League Veteran Sold to Yankees - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Ink 26-Year-Old Right-Hander Morell - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Anthony Bender to Join Brew Crew - Sioux City Explorers
- Rosselli Mashes Three Homers in Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Bitten by Dogs in 7-6 10 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Gary Smashes Sioux City, 10-1, for First Series Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Historic Night Comes in Rain-Shortened Win over Cleburne - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Floyd Signs First Pro Contract Contract with Gary, Tosses Two Scoreless Innings in Pro Debut on Sunday
- Walraven's First Pro Homer, Floyd's Two Hitless Innings Not Enough in 4-2 Loss
- RailCats Split Two-Game Set with Saints
- Lights Go out Not Once, But Twice: 'Cats and Saints Suspended in Series Opener
- Lambson, Goldeyes blank RailCats, 5-0, in rubber game