RailCats Add Bullpen Depth with Griffin Signing
?GARY, IND. - The Gary SouthShore Railcats announced the signing of David Griffin on Wednesday. The right-hander will be active for tonight's game in Winnipeg vs. the Goldeyes.
The Hanover, Mass., native will replace Will Savage on the active 23-man roster. Savage was placed on the Disabled List this afternoon, retroactive to Saturday's game against Sioux Falls. The Infielder was hit by a pitch on the helmet and has been experiencing concussion like symptoms.
Griffin signed his first professional baseball contract with the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League on March 25 of this year. He reported for spring training on April 24 but was released by the team on May 4 before getting a chance to make his professional baseball debut.
Griffin played collegiately the past four years at Curry College in Milton, Mass. He went 19-15 in 46 appearances (33 starts) in his time with the Colonels and finished his college career with an impressive 2.08 ERA. Of his 33 starts, 18 of them were complete games (54.54%); which propelled Griffin to becoming a First Team All-Conference player in each of his last three seasons.
In the summer of 2017, Griffin played for the Brockton Rox of the Futures Collegiate Baseball League. He racked up a 4-1 record with the Rox and finished the regular season with a 3.74 ERA, an 11.50 K/9 rate and a K/BB ratio of 2.87.
Gary and Winnipeg resume their three-game series on Wednesday night at Shaw Park. Right-hander Eric Morell (0-0, 0.00) makes his first American Association road start for the RailCats while the Goldeyes have yet to announce their starter for the middle game of the series.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Monday, June 3rd for the first of four games vs. the Chicago Dogs. Monday's game is the first Metro Monday and Meaty Monday of the season. Visit any Northwest Indiana Metro by T-Mobile location for complimentary tickets and enjoy our delicious hamburgers for just $2. Monday's series opener is also Munster and Dyer Community Night, presented by Fifth Third Bank.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 29, 2019
- Prime's Solo Shot Propels Fargo to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Johnson Stellar in Front of Hometown Crowd, Wins Pro Debut - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 9th Inning Rally Comes up Just Short in 3-1 Loss to Winnipeg - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Victor Roach Walk-Off Home Run Highlights Doubleheader Sweep - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Add Bullpen Depth with Griffin Signing - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sign Winnipeg-Born Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers and AirHogs Washed Away - Sioux City Explorers
- Clanin's Walk-Off Homer Caps Wild Comeback - Cleburne Railroaders
- Zhang Tao Takes Another Tough Loss, AirHogs Drop Series Opener 5-0 - Texas AirHogs
- Garcia Leads X's in Shutout of AirHogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Inning-Ending Double Plays, Walks Cost Gary in 4-2 Series Opening Defeat - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Staff Additions and Promotions for 2020
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0