Zhang Tao Takes Another Tough Loss, AirHogs Drop Series Opener 5-0
Zhang Tao continued to be effective at the top of the AirHogs rotation, giving the team 5 innings of two run baseball, unfortunately the AirHogs only managed 2 hits and fall 5-0.
Zhang Tao allowed two early runs before settling into a nice groove. He allowed a leadoff walk to Kyle awren to start the ball game. When came around to score on a one out single from shortstop Nate Samson to put the Explorers up 1-0.
Dexture McCall then lead off the second inning with a walk, eventually reaching third with just one out after the sacrifice bunt from Luke Bonfield, before scoring on the two out single from Kyle Wren. But that is all the Explorers could manage off Zhang Tao.
Unfortunately for Tao the AirHogs bats could never get on track against the right handed starter Jason Garcia for Sioux City. The former big leaguer dazzled for 7 innings allowing just an infield single and a bloop hit to left field. In all only 5 AirHogs reached base against Garcia.
The Explorers would add two more runs in the seventh off a double off the wall in right field from reigning league MVP Jose Sermo, as well as a bloop single down the left field line off the bat of Dean Green. Both seventh runs came off reliever Liu Guoquing. He worked a scoreless sixth, but could not escape the trouble in the 7th.
The Explorers added another insurance run in the 8th inning when Luke Bonfield singled to start the inning. Then thanks to a throwing error and a passed ball, he advanced to third with no outs. He eventually came home to score on a fielder's choice, giving the Explorers their 5th and final run of the evening.
Game 2 of the 3 game series is set for 11 am tomorrow. Zech Lemond (0-1) is set to take the mound for the AirHogs while RHP Zach Jemiola (0-2) is set to toss for the Explorers. As always all AirHogs games are available on mixlr.com/txairhogs
Individual tickets for the 2019 season are on sale now. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 29, 2019
- Prime's Solo Shot Propels Fargo to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Johnson Stellar in Front of Hometown Crowd, Wins Pro Debut - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 9th Inning Rally Comes up Just Short in 3-1 Loss to Winnipeg - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Victor Roach Walk-Off Home Run Highlights Doubleheader Sweep - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Add Bullpen Depth with Griffin Signing - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sign Winnipeg-Born Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers and AirHogs Washed Away - Sioux City Explorers
- Clanin's Walk-Off Homer Caps Wild Comeback - Cleburne Railroaders
- Zhang Tao Takes Another Tough Loss, AirHogs Drop Series Opener 5-0 - Texas AirHogs
- Garcia Leads X's in Shutout of AirHogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Inning-Ending Double Plays, Walks Cost Gary in 4-2 Series Opening Defeat - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.