Goldeyes Sign Winnipeg-Born Lefty
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes signed Winnipeg native and rookie left-handed pitcher Ryan Johnson on Wednesday.
Johnson is expected to make his professional debut tonight as the Goldeyes' starting pitcher in game two of a three-game series against the Gary SouthShore RailCats at Shaw Park.
Johnson recently finished his college career at Lubbock Christian University (Lubbock, Texas) where he was 13-2 with a 2.54 ERA in 16 starts as a senior. Johnson struck out 117 and walked 39 in 106.1 innings for the Lubbock Christian Chaparrals, and was voted the Heartland Conference's 2019 Pitcher of the Year.
The 26-year-old left-hander posted a 3.30 ERA for Lubbock Christian as a junior in 2018, and was voted to All-Heartland Conference. On February 23rd of that season, Johnson pitched a complete game, one-hit shutout over Metro State, and came within two outs of a no-hitter.
Johnson began his college career as a two-way player at Crowder College (Neosho, Missouri) in 2011. Johnson struck out 15 batters in 11.0 innings on the mound while batting .333 with two home runs and 28 RBI in 30 games at the plate. The 6-foot-5, 216-pound Johnson then transferred to the College of Southern Idaho for his sophomore season in 2013 where he was 6-7 with a 3.18 ERA in 14 starts and one relief appearance.
In 2009, Johnson represented Manitoba as a member of the province's 17 and under team.
Johnson becomes the first Winnipeg-born Goldeyes' player since right-handed pitcher Donnie Smith's final season with the club in 2006.
Additionally, the Goldeyes traded right-handed pitcher Jack Charleston to the Can-Am League's Quebec Capitales on Tuesday in exchange for a player to be named later.
The Goldeyes host the Gary SouthShore RailCats tonight at Shaw Park at 7:05 p.m. Advance tickets are available by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2019 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 29, 2019
- Prime's Solo Shot Propels Fargo to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Johnson Stellar in Front of Hometown Crowd, Wins Pro Debut - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 9th Inning Rally Comes up Just Short in 3-1 Loss to Winnipeg - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Victor Roach Walk-Off Home Run Highlights Doubleheader Sweep - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Add Bullpen Depth with Griffin Signing - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sign Winnipeg-Born Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers and AirHogs Washed Away - Sioux City Explorers
- Clanin's Walk-Off Homer Caps Wild Comeback - Cleburne Railroaders
- Zhang Tao Takes Another Tough Loss, AirHogs Drop Series Opener 5-0 - Texas AirHogs
- Garcia Leads X's in Shutout of AirHogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Inning-Ending Double Plays, Walks Cost Gary in 4-2 Series Opening Defeat - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Field of Dreams Foundation Announces 2019 Beneficiaries
- February Edition of the Inside Pitch Airs Wednesday
- Goldeyes to Volunteer at Winnipeg Harvest on Friday
- Goldeyes Add Playoff Performer, Rookie All-Star Catcher
- Versatile Infielder, Former Pitcher of the Year Added