Quakes to Celebrate Earth Day with Activations on Match Day
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes will celebrate Earth Day during their home match against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, April 20, presented by the City of San Jose Environmental Services Department, by taking several measures to reduce their environmental impact.
All 24 MLS clubs will be wearing special adidas x Parley eco-friendly kits during Earth Day weekend. These innovative kits, built with Climalite technology, are made from technical yarns comprised of Parley Ocean Plastic. As part of the global adidas x Parley initiative, plastic waste collected on beaches and in coastal communities is transformed into high-performance sportswear. The collaboration between MLS, adidas and Parley for the Oceans also serves to encourage fans to decrease their reliance of single-use plastics and reinforce the importance of changing human attitude and behavior towards plastic pollution through the Parley AIR Strategy: Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.
Spectra, the official concessionaire of Avaya Stadium, has utilized napkins and paper towels made from 100% recycled fiber since 2015. Additionally, all food trays are biodegradable and food oil is responsibly recycled by a biodiesel refinery. Next Saturday, Spectra will also switch from plastic to paper straws for all drinks served at the TCL 4K Bar.
Halftime will include a special ceremony to honor members of the community that have gone above and beyond for environmental protection, as well as a contest for one lucky fan to win a Parley jersey. A limited amount of Parley jerseys are available for purchase at the team store at Avaya Stadium. The team will also be holding a silent auction for game-worn Parley jerseys after the match, with all proceeds benefitting the Quakes Foundation.
The club's communications department will play their part by only distributing match guides to members of the media digitally, reducing usage of paper by more than 600 pages. The Quakes are also partnering with Our City Forest to plant trees in San Jose, with more than 20 front office employees participating.
The Quakes are even incentivizing fans to contribute. The first five fans to arrive by way of an electric vehicle will be given free parking at an EV charging stall in the Audi Lot, which is valued at $50. The following 15 electric vehicles will each receive discounted parking in the Silver Lot. Fans planning to purchase a ticket at the Box Office on match day can also score a discount by arriving at the stadium via bicycle or public transportation and showing a ticket or receipt.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 12, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Toronto FC - April 13, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Sporting Hosts New York Red Bulls on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Home Opener Saturday Afternoon at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- MLS WORKS and ESPN Announce 2019 Special Olympics Unified Sports Soccer Exchange Program - MLS
- Minnesota United Announces Food and Beverage Program at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- What's New at Stade Saputo in 2019 - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids Loan Forward Niki Jackson to Charlotte Independence - Colorado Rapids
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Primepoint HRMS & Payroll - Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Atlanta United FC - New England Revolution
- LAFC Takes on FC Cincinnati at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Take Part in the FC St-Joseph International Tournament for the First Time - Montreal Impact
- It's Saturday Night Lights: 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvPOR - FC Dallas
- Preview: Orlando City Travels to Face Real Salt Lake - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. New York City FC - Minnesota United FC
- Quakes to Celebrate Earth Day with Activations on Match Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Loans DF Sam Junqua to RGV FC for Saturday Clash with OKC Energy FC - Houston Dynamo
- Twitch Announced as Exclusive Streaming Destination for 2019 Generation adidas Cup - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Real Salt Lake - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Returns to Rio Tinto Stadium Saturday to Host Orlando City SC - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Jon Kempin, Luis Argudo and JJ Williams on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC and ESPN Deportes Radio AM1050 to Bring Spanish-Language Game Coverage to Tri-State Area - New York City FC
- Sporting Falls to Monterrey in Champions League Semis - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week
- Chris Wondolowski scores four goals to break all-time MLS record
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Breaks All-Time MLS Goals Record
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019