LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today the club has signed defender Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna in Italy's Serie A utilizing Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The 31-year-old Costa Rica International joins the LA Galaxy after playing in Italy's top-flight division since 2014. He will occupy an International Roster Spot and be added to the roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
The LA Galaxy acquired Gonzalez after trading with Orlando City SC and Toronto FC to move into the #1 Allocation Ranking. Additional details are below.
MEDIA AVAILABILITY: Gonzalez will be available to the media for the first time as a member of the LA Galaxy following the team's training session at Dignity Health Sports Park today.
"Giancarlo is a very experienced and talented central defender that we believe will strengthen our backline," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He is familiar with MLS and he has played at the highest levels across the world. We are excited to add him to our roster and look forward to integrating him into our team."
Gonzalez has made over 100 appearances in Serie A since 2014 while playing for Palermo and Bologna. In 2014, he had a standout year as a member of Columbus Crew SC, the same season he represented Costa Rica at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, where he led his team to finish first in Group D ahead of Uruguay, Italy and England before advancing all the way to the Quarter Finals of the tournament. He again represented his country in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Prior to joining Columbus in 2014, Gonzalez played professionally in the first divisions of Norway and Costa Rica from 2009-2013. He made 27 appearances and scored three goals over one and a half full seasons while playing for Norwegian First Division side V?lerenga following a three-year spell with Alajuelense of Costa Rica's Primera Division, where he made 57 regular-season appearances and scored six goals.
Internationally, Gonzalez has made over 70 appearances for Costa Rica, including competitions across the FIFA World Cup, FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, Concacaf Gold Cup matches and Copa Centroamericana contests. He originally made his he made his international debut for Costa Rica against Slovakia in 2010.
Gonzalez and the LA Galaxy return home this week for a contest against the Philadelphia Union at Dignity Health Sports Park this Saturday, April 13 (7:30 p.m. PT; Spectrum SportsNet).
Transaction: LA Galaxy trade the #11 2019 Allocation Ranking, $300,000 in 2019 Target Allocation Money, and $100,000 in 2020 Target Allocation Money to Orlando City SC in exchange for the #2 2019 Allocation Ranking.
Transaction: LA Galaxy trade the #2 2019 Allocation Ranking and a 2020 Natural 1st Round SuperDraft Pick to Toronto FC in exchange for the #1 2019 Allocation Ranking.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign defender Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna (ITA) using TAM.
Name: Giancarlo Gonzalez
Weight: 185 lbs.
Born: Feb. 8, 1988
Last Club: Bologna (ITA)
Birthplace: San Jose, Costa Rica
Nationality: Costa Rica
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 12, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Toronto FC - April 13, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Sporting Hosts New York Red Bulls on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Home Opener Saturday Afternoon at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- MLS WORKS and ESPN Announce 2019 Special Olympics Unified Sports Soccer Exchange Program - MLS
- Minnesota United Announces Food and Beverage Program at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- What's New at Stade Saputo in 2019 - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids Loan Forward Niki Jackson to Charlotte Independence - Colorado Rapids
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Primepoint HRMS & Payroll - Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Atlanta United FC - New England Revolution
- LAFC Takes on FC Cincinnati at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Take Part in the FC St-Joseph International Tournament for the First Time - Montreal Impact
- It's Saturday Night Lights: 5 Things You Need to Know About #FCDvPOR - FC Dallas
- Preview: Orlando City Travels to Face Real Salt Lake - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. New York City FC - Minnesota United FC
- Quakes to Celebrate Earth Day with Activations on Match Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Loans DF Sam Junqua to RGV FC for Saturday Clash with OKC Energy FC - Houston Dynamo
- Twitch Announced as Exclusive Streaming Destination for 2019 Generation adidas Cup - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Real Salt Lake - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Returns to Rio Tinto Stadium Saturday to Host Orlando City SC - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Jon Kempin, Luis Argudo and JJ Williams on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC and ESPN Deportes Radio AM1050 to Bring Spanish-Language Game Coverage to Tri-State Area - New York City FC
- Sporting Falls to Monterrey in Champions League Semis - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy x Black Arrow FC to Collaborate for 2020 Season
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Jonathan Perez to Homegrown Player Contract
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Cameron Dunbar to Homegrown Player Contract
- LA Galaxy to Participate in 2020 Leagues Cup in July
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Toronto FC 2 - Saturday, February 15, 2020