Preview: Firebirds Face Niagara in Front of Expected Sellout Crowd Saturday
St. Catharines, Ont. - The Firebirds continue their five-game road trip Saturday night against the Niagara IceDogs. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. (ET) at the Meridian Centre (capacity 5,580).
All-time, Flint is 1-5-1-0 against Niagara and are 0-3-0-0 at the Meridian Centre in St. Catharines. However, the Firebirds have won three of their past six games and have points in four of those six contests. The last meeting between these two teams was on Oct. 28 at the Dort Federal Event Center in Flint. Niagara tallied a 7-1 win over the Firebirds with Ty Dellandrea scoring the lone goal for Flint. Niagara's Akil Thomas had a four point night (1G, 3A) and Kyen Sopa recorded two goals.
Most recently, the Firebirds began their five-game road trip last night in Mississauga. Despite being tied 2-2 after the first period, and trailing by one with 10 minutes left in the game, Mississauga posted a 8-5 victory over the Firebirds (watch highlights). Niagara was idle Friday following a 10-0 victory on home-ice against the Hamilton Bulldogs (watch highlights). In the past four home contests, the IceDogs have averaged 6.5 goals for per game.
Saturday evening's contest in Niagara can be heard live on the radio throughout Flint & Mid-Michigan on US 103.1 FM, online at www.us103.com or by downloading the US 103 app here. Dominic Hennig will call the play-by-play action on the Flint Firebirds Hockey Radio Network. Pregame coverage will begin 30 minutes prior to puck drop at 6:30 p.m.
The game will also be televised live in Niagara on YourTV channel 10 / 700 (HD) for Cogeco TV cable subscribers and across the province of Ontario on the OHL Action Pak on channel 445 for both Rogers TV and Cogeco TV cable subscribers. OHL fans with cable television in Ontario can add the OHL Action Pak to their television plan to catch the Firebirds in action, home or away all season long. Along with Saturday's game, 65 of the Firebirds' 68 games throughout the 2018-19 season are also scheduled to be televised live across the province of Ontario on the OHL Action Pak.
All Flint Firebirds home and away games throughout the 2018-19 season can be watched anywhere in the world online on www.ohllive.com or on the OHL Live app. OHL Live is a league video streaming platform that delivers high quality live and on-demand coverage of all regular season and playoff games annually. The cost is $6.99 per game.
Images from this story
Meridian Centre, home of the Niagara IceDogs
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Lyszczarczyk's Hat-Trick Propels Trout to Second Consecutive W - Mississauga Steelheads
- Howdeshell Hat Trick Leads Greyhounds over the Colts - Barrie Colts
- Petes Find Offence against Sting to Snap Streak - Peterborough Petes
- Peterborough Unfriendly Hosts to Sting - Sarnia Sting
- Lyszczarczyk the Difference, Attack Fall 6-3 - Owen Sound Attack
- Six Different Scorers Propel Spirit to Victory over Otters - Saginaw Spirit
- Studnicka Scores Hat Trick in 7-2 Pink in the Rink Win over Firebirds - Niagara IceDogs
- Otters End Road Trip in Saginaw, Lose 6-2 - Erie Otters
- Bulldogs Battle the League Leading 67's to the End - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 67's Close out Perfect Weekend with 5-3 Win over Bulldogs - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Firebirds Face Niagara in Front of Expected Sellout Crowd Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Spirit Hire Darren Rumble as Assistant Coach - Saginaw Spirit
- Spirit Host Otters, Honor Radio Personality Art Lewis Saturday Night at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Nilsen Signs with Edmonton Oilers' Affiliate Wichita Thunder
- Dellandrea Called-Up to Dallas Stars' AHL Affiliate, Texas Stars
- Less Than 200 Seats Remain for Final Home Game of Season Tonight
- Morgan Scores Two, Game-Winner in Shootout in Windsor Thursday
- Firebirds to Host Whaley Night to Collect Hygiene Items for Children